Chapter Eighteen

Freya tried her best to think of information that she could fuel to Naja. Freya realized that if she made Naja think that her and Victoria's meetings were truly to gain information, she might be more inclined to let the meetings continue. Then, and only then, would Freya feel safe enough to continue  planning her take down of the Kingdom.

"Helen?" Freya asked, her accent in place as she called into the servants' quarters.

"Yes?" Naja called back. The casualty in her voice assured Freya that she was alone. "Come in, Lupine."

Freya stepped through the doorway and shut the door behind her, just in case anyone were to approach the area. She wanted to make sure that they were completely alone and that there was no risk or interruption or eavesdropping.

"Naja," Freya began, choosing her words carefully. "As you are already aware, I have been meeting with Victoria Ambermore for some time." Naja opened her mouth to speak, but Freya beat her to it. "I wanted to inform you that they have been strictly to gather information regarding our upcoming job and it is my goal to gain her trust. Using this, we may learn more about the prize than Corvus may be aware of."

"I do admit," Naja said after a moment of consideration. "That this does seem like a solid plan. However," she paused, gathering her thoughts. "Do you truly need to reveal your alias to her?" Freya could tell from her tone that this was not a question that she wanted answered. "Trust is one thing, putting the Kingdom in danger is another entirely. We'll meet with Corvus tomorrow on the subject. He'll want a say in this decision."

Freya nodded, knowing that this was the best she was ever going to get from Naja. If she was able to get Corvus to agree to the meetings, she and Victoria might be able to continue their plot to overthrow the Kingdom...that is if she was able to get Victoria to even speak to her. Freya knew that Victoria needed space to process everything but Freya knew that she couldn't wait forever. If she was to trust the phone call between Kenneth and John, things were to be set up by the end of the week and if things continued along as Freya thought they would. They would be conducting the heist by the end of that month; which was only three weeks away.

Before she knew it, her plot would be slipping through her fingers, all because Victoria refused to believe her. She needed to get Victoria on her side, and quickly. Freya decided that Victoria had waited enough by the time she had finished dusting the family antiques. Duster still in hand, she marched up the servants' stairs and toward Victoria's room, being careful not to be spotted by any other staff members or any of the Ambermores. The last thing Freya needed was to be caught. Approaching the door, Freya took a deep breath before knocking twice. There was no response.

Freya nearly laughed at herself. Of course Victoria wouldn't be in her room at any given time of day! Glancing down at her watch, Freya noted that it was just after 3pm, meaning that Victoria would likely be away for the next couple hours, considering that she was meant to spend the afternoon with Geneviève. Freya considered her next steps for a moment before she decided that she could very easily leave a note for Victoria if she were meant to dust her room before her return. The contents of that note? Perhaps a location and time for a truly private discussion.

Freya slowly turned the doorknob and stepped into the large room. It was odd for Freya to see the room without Victoria there to grill her for information. After closing the door behind her, Freya slowly turned around in a circle, simply taking in the majesty of the room. Never in her life had Freya had a room like this all to herself. Even though the room still didn't belong to her, Freya felt a moment of satisfaction, wishing that she could show the room to her younger self to assure her that everything would turn out fine. Well, as far as she could tell things were turning out well.

Slowly, Freya walked around the perimeter of the room, trying to decide where to leave the note. It would have to be somewhere that only Victoria would look, otherwise Freya's cover would be blown completely, and her goal of taking down the Kingdom would fizzle away. Her next decision was to enter Victoria's closet to see if there was any chance that she could leave a note in there. Unfortunately, unless Freya was clever enough to sew it into a dress seam—which she wasn't—the closet was a bust.

Signing, Freya came out of the closet and approached Victoria's largest dresser. Just as she was about to open the bottom drawer, she paused. Is this too invasive? She asked herself. Going into someone's room to leave a note is one thing, but going through their dresser is another. She argued with herself for a little while longer before the logical side of her emerged victorious. If she was going to leave a note where only Victoria would find it, this would likely be the place.

The other drawers turned up nothing except clothing until Freya opened the top drawer and saw a small gilded box around the size of a paperback book. Freya felt her breath hitch as she gazed at it, marvelled by the care and patience that must have gone into the box. The gilding was delicate and intricate, tracing pages of meadows, forests, and mountains. Small deer, rabbits, and even a pack of wolves were hidden among the glittering trees. It was beautiful, impossibly so.

It took longer than Freya was willing to admit before she was able to reach out her hand to brush it across the supple surface. A small latch—engraved to resemble a lock made entirely of vine—held the box closed. Freya felt it beckoning—calling even—to her inner thief, begging her to reveal its treasures to her. She reached her hand to the latch, running her finger over the engraving, marvelling at the detail and precision. Then she flipped it and slowly opened the top of the box. Freya gazed at the treasure that lay before her. It was beyond Freya's wildest dreams. It was...a diamond.

What is this?

A new chapter?

What? So unheard of.

In all seriousness, I'm sorry that I took so long to update. If I'm honest, I forgot that Wattpad existed for s little while there.

Don't expect another terribly soon however, because my stupid computer locked me out of my documents so I'm trying to find a new solution.

Anyhow, here's this chapter's questions:

- Do you think that Naja suspects Freya?

- What do you think the note says?

- What do you think will happen next?

As a quick aside, this story has now been entered as an ongoing story for the Wattys! I am super delighted that my story even qualified, though I doubt I'll win. Just thought I'd let you guys know so that you have the opportunity to vote for it if you'd like!

Thanks again to everyone for their continued patience with me as I work my way through this writer's block. See you in the next one!

~Alley