Chapter Ten

Vic enjoyed working with her father. When she was a child it had always seemed like her father was too busy for her, but now that she was showing interest in the family business, it seemed as though they finally had some common ground. While she still wasn't allowed to sit in on meetings, her father had started to use her as his proofreader for all the financial calculations. Maths had always been Vic's strongest and favourite subject. She liked that most things could be solved in more than one way and that everything had one practical answer.

While Vic's father was in one of his very secretive meetings, Vic sat at the desk that he had placed for her beside his own, reviewing the month's earnings. If things continue as they were currently, it appeared that they would be able to reach their goal by the end of the year, which was way ahead of schedule. Vic finished the last page of the books and leaned back in her leather chair. The only issue with being a proofreader was that her assignments never took very long to complete.

Vic found her thoughts wandering over to Lupine's mysterious disappearance from the house a week ago. While she had returned late that night, she and her accomplice refused to explain the meaning of the sudden departure. Even though Vic knew that Lupine owed her nothing and probably didn't care about her all, she still felt betrayed somehow. She knew that it was stupid to think that Lupine cared about her and her feelings, but she still wished that Lupine would at least explain herself or apologize.

Vic tried her best to push all thoughts concerning Lupine out of her mind. Why was she busy concerning herself with someone who had stolen from her family and was working as her maid! They were never and would never be friends or anything more than that. She felt an instant rush of shame for thinking that final thought. Vic shouldn't be concerned with whether or not Lupine cared for her. She should be focusing on her work and taking over the family business, not whether or not a thief had feelings for her.

"Ms. Ambermore," came a voice following a knock on her office door. "I have brought you your tea as requested. Though why you chose me specifically I am unsure."

"Come in, Élaine," Vic said to the door, knowing exactly who it was. It had taken ten minutes of discussion with Mrs. Abbott to have Lupine specifically sent up. "I've been expecting you."

The door was pushed open by Lupine, dressed completely in her disguise, wig and all. She was carrying a small silver tray with a tea set, just as Vic had requested.

"You can set it down here, Lupine," Vic directed. "We have other matters to attend to besides tea."

"Ms. Ambermore," Lupine repeated, refusing to drop her false accent. "Before I played along with your jeux, mais I do not know who this 'Lupine' is that you speak of." she took a breath and continued. "I must return to my boulot now. Goodbye Ms. Ambermore."

She stepped towards the door, leaving Vic standing there in shock. Lupine had always given into Vic's demands. Now here she was, actively denying it? Acting as though she was truly the Parisian Élaine. Vic was in complete disbelief as Lupine left the room easily before Vic could compose an objection. Finally managing to bring her mind in time with the present and got out of her chair, hoping that Lupine wasn't too far down the hallway by that point.

Vic stepped into the hall and noted a familiar brown French-bob bouncing down the hall. If Vic was quick, she could catch Lupine before she reached the stairs. Vic didn't particularly sprint down the hall, though compared to the gait of her parents, she was travelling remarkably quickly. Vic had never thought that she walked particularly quickly, though she had been told that many times. Finally reaching Lupine, Vic grabbed her by the arm and dragged her into her chambers.

A cry of alarm escaped Lupine's lips when Vic grabbed her arm and she made a large effort to escape, though because of the element of surprise, Vic was able to bring her inside without much difficulty. After shutting the door and leaning back on it to keep it closed, Vic observed Lupine. Lupine turned around to face Vic, her face contorted in confusion, shock, and anger. Her eyes narrowed as she picked apart Vic's attempt at a neutral expression.

"What are you thinking?" Lupine exclaimed, her accent dropped. "Don't you understand that I'm trying to do my job?"

"Your job is to work for me!" Vic retorted. "Stop pretending to be Little Miss Élaine Cartier!" There was a full minute of silence while both women stood in the same positions, seething. "Where did you go last Tuesday?" Vic finally asked, breaking the silence.

"Away." Lupine replied, her response measured and clipped.

"Away where?" Vic pressed. "You make it sound like you weren't away for three hours or that you simply stopped at the corner store for a bite to eat. I'm not stupid Lupine. Where did you go last Tuesday?"

Lupine inhaled a sharp breath and looked at the floor. Vic knew that she had Lupine exactly where she wanted her. "Work," was the clipped response.

"Stole something else I presume?" Vic said with a roll of her eyes. "Figured as much. Why did you even bother coming back then?"

"I-it's not like that!" she protested. "That's not it at all!"

"Forgive my disbelief," Vic said coldly. "How do I know that you're even telling the truth? Thieves lie all the time, there's nothing else to it." Lupine was silent. "I guess I'll have to prove you wrong myself then."

Vic walked her way over to Lupine who put her hands in the air as surrender. "Now now, let's talk about this," Lupine said, suddenly sounding afraid. "I swear I didn't steal anything?"

"Liar," Vic retorted, taking another couple steps closer. "Turn around."

"Wha—"

"I said turn around!" This time, Lupine did as she was told. Lupine stood facing the wall as Victoria approached. "I will ask you again," Victoria hissed in Lupine's ear. "What did you steal?"

Lupine was silent for a moment, looking as if she was contemplating her next words. "My heart."

Mwahahaha! And you thought that my other cliffhangers were bad! Seriously though, I love you guys. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Another Vic as you can see. Are you enjoying these Vic chapters or would you raher that I cut them out entirely? Here are this chapter's questions: 

- How do you think Vic will react?

- Are you enjoying this book?

- Should I keep these Vic chapters?

- Do you think tht Freya's revelation will change the way she approched this job?

- What do you think will happen next?

As always, I hope you guys enjoyed, and I'll see you guys in the next one. I love when I recieve fanart, so if you you want to have yours featured in this book as a heading, just tag me in your art book!

~Alley