Chapter Six

"Miss Ambermore," Freya said, pushing the door to Victoria's chambers open. "You wished to see me? What is it that I may do for you?" She was sure to use her Élaine voice.

"Close the door behind you, Lupine,"

"I thought you were done interrogating me Victoria," Freya dropped the accent immediately and made no effort to mask the annoyance in her voice. "I have work to do. Shouldn't you be preparing for yet another party?"

Victoria seemed to flinch ever so slightly, as if Freya had actually hurt her. "Actually that is your task," she seemed to be rather proud of herself for finding a way to interrogate Feeya without causing suspicion. "You are to help me prepare. Don't worry about the table; your boss assured me that you completed all the settings. You have the rest of the day with me." she smirked. "First, choose a gown."

Victoria walked over to another set of doors off to the left of the door that Freya had entered from. In her last visit, she hadn't seen them because they were on that same wall. They were white like most of the other things in the room. In Freya's opinion, the room needed a little something else. A small blue rug or something like that. Anything instead of this constant and cold white. Victoria flung open the two doors and gestured for Freya to follow. Unlike what she first thought, the closet was not just one or bars, but rather an entire room connected to Victoria's main chambers.

Freya should have expected as much—the Ambermore's were one of the richest families in the province—yet it surprised her either way. Despite her best efforts, Freya couldn't seem to see Victoria as a simple obstacle or rich girl, but as a person. Almost as a friend, which scared even more. One of the most important lessons that a thief could learn was not to get attached. If you get attached, you won't be able to get the job done. She shook herself free of her feelings and built up her mental stone wall. A wall that she had begun to use when she was taken in by the Kingdom. A wall used to distance herself from the people she stole from.

With the wall complete, Freya followed Victoria as she entered the enormous walk-in closet. Around her were shelves of neatly folded clothing, with racks scattered here and there for shoes, dresses, and jewelry. Victoria stopped at one of two dress racks and gestured towards it. This rack held dresses that seemed to be fairly plain in colour, with muted blacks, purples, blues, reds, and the occasional green. The rack beside it was filled with dresses that seemed more like gowns over anything else. More vibrant colours, more length, and added embellishments.

"Here we are," Victoria said. "You're to help me choose one of these to wear tonight. Go ahead; have a look."

Freya approached the rack and made sure that her wall was intact. The quicker Victoria was prepared, the quicker Freya could leave. She selected the dress directly in front of her and ran her fingers over the fabric. It seemed to be made of green satin, and wassmoot to the touch.The unhooked it from the rack and held it up for Victoria to see.

"Absolutely not," Victoria said. "This is a dinner party, not a summer swing dance. Find another one, Lupine." she smirked. "With every dress that you pick that isn't up to my standard, you have to answer one of my questions, truthfully." Freya felt dread creep into the pit of her stomach. "First, why are you back here? I know very well that it's not just because you wanted to work as a maid."

Freya felt every muscle in her body freeze. Victoria wasn't unintelligent by any means. She'd likely see through any lie she crafted. She couldn't very well tell Victoria that she meant to steal from her family. It was obvious by now that Victoria knew this already, but it was another to reveal that this was indeed the plan. It would lead to follow-up questions regarding what she intended to steal and when she indeed to steal it—both of which Freya had no idea.

Freya was completely tempted at this moment to excuse herself and call Corvus to tell him that she quit. This surely wasn't a part of Corvus' plan, and Naja was already here for it wouldn't be a complete waste of a mission. Besides the fact that Freya would never hear the end of how disappointed he was in her and how he wasted all of this time training her only for her to bail. No. She wouldn't call Corvus. She'd stick it out. Right after she dealt with Victoria.

"Why start with that?" Freya responded instead, turning back to the rack. "Surely, there are other things which you'd prefer to learn about me. You've assured me countless times that you already know why I am here. Surely, you can be more creative in your questioning."

Victoria huffed, clearly annoyed that Freya had opted to sidestep her question rather than answer it. "Fine," she snapped. "What made you get into thievery?" she smirked, clearly proud of herself.

Freya turned to face her again and smiled as innocently as she could manage. "You've already asked me one question. Please remain patient."

"Wh—no! That's not how this works!"

Freya put her hands up in mock surrender, and put on her Élaine voice. "I am just doing as you said, Ms. Ambermore."

"Bu—You know what? Fine," Victoria snapped, composing herself fairly quickly. "Have it your way. Show me another. Come on now, don't take all night."

Freya began looking through the dresses again, this time with her eyes falling on the same black dress that Victoria had worn during the party when Freya had stolen the necklace. Her heart beat furiously in her chest at the memory, though she did not know why. She held it up for Victoria.

"Perfect," she said with a grin. 

Wow, two chapters in one month! That's unheard of! Hopefully I'll be able to get some mroe writing done soon. I'm going to start stockpilling some of these chapters wth hopes of being able to post even when I have writer's block. I don't like making you guys wait for this sort of thing. I haven't heard anything about the questions for each chapter, so I am not going to add them.

Sorry, I do need answers if you want them. If you have any theories as to what is going to happen next, then please let me know! I am so excite to get back into this story and the world of Freya and Victoria. Please suggest any nicknames for Freya if you want! I would love to be able to add it in. Who knows, if I like one of them, I might make Victoria start to call her that!

Oh my, did I just reveal that Victoria is going to learn Freya's new name soon? You'd beeter bet that I did! Stick around to see that! Until next chapter,

~Alley