The Start of Something Wonderful

Start from the beginning

Damn her sass.

Sliding out of my chair, I bid Rosie a good weekend and donned my rucksack, joining the stream of students in the corridors. Luckily, I'd picked up the stuff I needed for the weekend at lunch, and so I wouldn't have to fight my way through the multitude of people nudging their way up the stairs to their form rooms, where our lockers were. After quickly stopping off at the cloakroom to grab my sketch book and blazer, I headed out of the school gates, exchanging a few short goodbyes with various friends. I wasn't really in the mood for talking; all I wanted to do was collect Tommy and go home.

It was a typical December day out, a little too cold for comfort, but fresh and white. I shrugged on my blazer, grimacing slightly at the crinkles which had appeared in the last few days. I laughed - Mum would not be happy; we'd just had it cleaned.

My school uniform wasn't too bad, considering what other schools put their pupils through. Because I was in sixth form, I got to wear a black skirt, slightly flared and high on the waist but the younger years had to wear grey. A standard white school shirt, and a striped tie according to your house, along with tights or long socks, and bravo - we have our uniform. Of course, there was a burgundy cardigan or sweater that you wore when it was colder, although I had always opted for the cardy...looking like a box never really did it for me.

My phone vibrated in my pocket, startling me, and I picked up after checking the caller ID.

"Hey Mum," I said, a little breathlessly.

"Hi darling, are you on your way to Tommy yet?" She asked, after murmuring something to someone in the background.

"Yeh, I'm about five minutes away. Why?"

"Oh great, well I'm working late tonight, and I was wondering if you could get some more milk for us? We ran out this morning, and I forgot to put it in Tessa's list to do. Could you pop into Sainsbury's on your way home?"

Tessa was a sort of house keeper for us, seeing as Mum worked so much, although I viewed her more of a friend than anything else. She came over a few times a week to clear up the house and check in on us kids, whilst Mum scribbled furiously at her accountant's desk, trying furtively to scrape any extra money she could to keep the house running. Not that we needed it, but Mum was slightly obsessive when it came to work, and believed that any money she could put away would help in the long run. Part of me admired her dedication, whilst another part realised with some kind of sad certainty that maybe she was just trying to distract herself from life.

I listened to the sound of paper turning on Mum's end of the phone and swallowed. "Sure thing, Mum. When will you be home?"

I thought I heard her sigh, but I couldn't be sure. "I'm not sure, love, but late. I've got a business meal at 8, and I don't anticipate it being a short one." She paused, and so did the paper. "Is that alright, Meg? It means you'll have to cook supper and put Tommy to bed. I didn't know if you had any plans tonight, but I can phone Tessa..."

I interrupted her quickly, anxious for her not to worry. She had enough of that at her work. "No Mum, it's fine." I paused before crossing the road. "I don't have anything on, and I have a ton of homework to do. It's cool, don't worry."

"Are you sure? Thanks Meggy, I'll..no, no don't write that, Peter, I doubt he'll appreciate it." The sound of paper started up again, and I sighed inaudibly. I missed the mother who always had time for me. "Sorry, darling, I have to go. Lots of love!"

"Bye Mum, have a good..." The phone dial cut off before I could finish.

Sighing yet again, I slid my phone back into my pocket and sped up my pace. The wind had picked up, and it was doing all kinds of wonderful to my hair.