Chapter 12: Madeline

Start from the beginning

The moment Madeline plugged her phone into the charging port last night, her phone blew up with missed calls and messages demanding Madeline to call her back. There was a part of her that pushed her to answer Freya back but there was another, bigger part that was too scared to answer. She had a feeling that if she did, then everything would change.

She was being a coward and she knew it. But she didn't care. She would take being a coward over her whole world changing right before her eyes.

Guilty, Madeline silenced her phone and turned back to Jensen, planting an apologetic look on her face. "Sorry about that. Shall we head off?"

His eyes shone with confusion and worry. Her expressions were not as well hidden as she hoped.

"Sure."

Jensen led her to the sciences campus, waving and greeting everybody as he walked past them. It made Madeline's mind drift—wondering what it would be like to be so open and confident.

She knew that her soul mates all had big personalities. They presented themselves as friendly, open, and humble people. She was nothing like that. That was another reason why she didn't fit in with them—why they would reject her if they met her.

In a way, she was glad they never got to meet her. Instead, by not meeting her, they would never know who their soul mate was. They would go about their lives, maybe thinking once or twice, about who their soul mate was and what they were like. BTS would never see the shy, aloof, and troubled woman she was.

They stopped outside a department labeled 'soul studies'. Beyond those doors could be something to help alleviate her pain.

Jensen swiped his card, causing the electric doors to swish open. The first thing she saw was a white corridor that led to a big desk. Glass walls separated rooms full of scientific equipment, personalized desks, and meeting rooms. It all looked very professional and high-tech.

She trailed after Jensen, curiously gazing around the area. There were a few people dotted around the big department, wearing long white lab coats. Jensen stoppedSha outside a glass room and knocked. She quickly glanced at the name on the door and memorized it. It seemed Doctor Shaul would be helping her.

Jensen slowly opened the door to reveal a man who had to be no older than thirty sitting behind a desk, typing quickly. At the sound of the door opening, he whipped his head up. Madeline got a good look at him, drinking in his soft but handsome features and his electric blue eyes.

He was handsome but not in the conventional way. He also looked so young. Was he like Jensen? Or did he recently pass his exams?

"Ah, hello Jensen." He said to her friend first, his eyes sparkling. Then, he dragged his ocean-blue orbs to her. "And you must be Madeline Smith, right?"

Feeling shy all of a sudden, she bit her lip and bobbed her head up and down.

Noticing how she was nervous around him, he softened his expression. "You have no reason to feel anxious around me, Madeline. I won't judge or harm you."

She forced her shoulders to deflate and her body to relax. It would take a few moments for her to feel at ease around him. She was like that with many people.

"Come and take a seat," He gestured to the comfortable white seats opposite his chair. She pushed her foot in front of her and shuffled to the chair. "Would you like Jensen to stay with you?"

Madeline pondered over it for a second. She didn't know Jensen well but she trusted him more than Doctor Shaul. She felt like Jensen wouldn't judge her either. He didn't strike her as the type of person.