6

The faint hum of the waking city stirred me from my slumber

The faint hum of the waking city stirred me from my slumber. The first light of dawn had yet to peek through the gap in the curtains, yet I could sense the day beginning to unfurl outside. It was a crisp morning, the kind that suggested the start of a day full of potential and promise.

I blinked, my eyes heavy with sleep, and checked the time on my bedside table.

6:42 AM.

I snuggled deeper into the sheets, feeling my body sinking into the softness of the mattress, floating on Cloud 9. I lay still for a few minutes, the warm cocoon around me slowly lulling me into a state of deep relaxation. It wasn't until I heard a small sound that I became aware of another presence in the room.

The mattress dipped as someone shifted their weight, the warmth from their body enveloping me as a strong arm slipped around my waist, pulling me against a broad, naked chest.

I stiffened momentarily, my mind muddled with sleep as I tried to remember...and then it all came rushing back. The club. The dance. His scent, a mix of Santal 26 and vanilla body soap. The heated, almost desperate kisses we had shared outside the door, my legs wrapped around his waist, his body pressed up against mine as we...

My thoughts were interrupted when he stirred again and I turned to face him, his face relaxed in sleep. He looked different in the glow of the early morning, softer, less like the confident man I had danced with last night and more like a man with his own vulnerabilities, his own fears. It was a sobering thought, and one that made me feel oddly connected to him.

A rush of tenderness washed over me. I reached out, brushing a stray loc away from his forehead.

I took a moment to study his face, the lines and contours softened by sleep. His eyelashes fluttered slightly, casting shadows on his cheeks. His lips parted slightly, making him look almost vulnerable. It was a strange sight - this man, who had been so erotic, animalistic, and so in control last night, now looked so peaceful, so...human.

The rays of dawn were beginning to peek through the gaps in the curtains, casting a soft, almost ethereal glow around the room. I wriggled out from his grip, taking care not to wake him. The soft rustle of the sheets seemed unusually loud in the quiet room, but he remained asleep, his face still tranquil in the soft light.

I pulled on a robe from my closet, wrapping it around myself and tying the sash securely. I glanced at him one last time before I slipped out of the room, leaving the door slightly ajar.

The apartment was silent apart from the quiet humming of the central air and heating system. I made my way down the hallway to the bathroom to freshen up before heading into the kitchen, placing the kettle on the stove. While the water was heating up, I took a moment to check my phone, scrolling through my messages.

There were a few waiting for me: a voicemail from my Uncle Barry.

Delete.

Two text messages; one from my manager, along with a voicemail, and one from Static the other day, all of which I would check later.