39.

Diana scoots into the bench across from me, her eyebrow raised so high that it could probably fly away if it went up any further. "Uh... you good?" I ask, as she continues to stare at me blankly.

"Nope. Do you care to explain?" She tilts her head to the left, where John and Harry are having a conversation with each other.

"Explain what? Nothing happened with Harry, if that's what you are asking." I rush the last bit of my sentence, hoping she will just dismiss the conversation.

She looks at me like I just said the stupidest thing ever. We sit there in silence for a bit before she begins to speak. "You know what, never mind," She starts to mumble under her breath, and I can't hear a thing that she says. "I don't want to change your opinion with John if it isn't what I thought it was."

I lean closer to her, bringing my ear up closer so I can hear. "What'd you say?"

"Nothing, I was just clearing my throat. Oh, Claire! Come sit with us!" Diana waves her over, and she smiles as she rushes over to sit next to me. I just move on from what Diana was talking about before.

"So what are you guys doing for Thanksgiving?" Claire asks, as she takes a bite of her caesar salad.

"Not much. Andrea, Harry and I were going to hang out a bit, and then I was going to the party my family hosts every year. What about you, Claire?" Diana winks at her, and continues giving her a look, like she is trying to convince her to do something with her eyes.

"Uh," Diana's stare continues to get more and more tense. "Yeah, can I hang out with you guys? I don't have any plans." Claire is staring directly at Diana, who is now smirking at her.

"Yes! That is perfect! You need to come over and celebrate with us." Diana seems so excited, that she could leap on top of the table just out of pure joy.

"Yeah, that's great! But Harry doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, so don't try to make it all about it. Just treat it like it is a nice get-together. You know?" Claire's phone starts vibrating loudly in her hands, as I am talking to her. I notice that she isn't even paying attention to what I am saying, and neither is Diana. They are both on their phones.

Are they texting each other? I quickly glance down at Claire's screen and see that they are. I find the urge to read their texts, but I know I shouldn't. That's rude! They deserve their privacy. Although, they are texting each other right in front of my face instead of just talking out loud.

I mean, reading just a few messages won't hurt anyone, right? My head slowly turns, so I can get a better angle of the screen. I keep doing this until I get a perfect view of the screen. Gosh, I probably sound like a psycho right now!

Claire:

girl why were you looking at me like that 😭

it was literally terrifying

but i did what you wanted me to so are you happy now

Diana:

yes thank you for your cooperation on this mission

Claire:

why are you talking to me like you are a secret agent or something

Diana:

and why are you talking to me like a basic person

Claire:

damn okay 🥲

forget i even asked 😓

Diana: