Hymenaeus: nam amor et familia

Montgomery had stayed in that hospital for the rest of the day until he was deemed strong enough to travel back home to England.

He brought no bags, he had everything he needed at home. Instead of his usual flying gear, he wore his sophisticated dress uniform, army green wasn't particularly a proper colour to wear to a wedding but it'll have to do.

As Montgomery arrived at the station in London he could see his older brother alongside his ever so happy fiancée, his mother standing there with her arms clasped together and his older sister, still wearing her blue school uniform... his father, like most times missing from the bunch.

It didn't bother Montgomery anymore, his father was a busy man. The second the doors to the train were opened he stepped out and walked to his family... "Hello, Paris, Penelope". He said, greeting his older siblings, both the twins gave him a short hug before letting him go to meet the eyes of his mother... "Mother...". He breathed out as he looked at his mother's face.

In the two years he had been gone, his mother had lost a bit of her youthful glow... she was, still a beautiful woman, but a woman of age, a woman that was closing in on that half-a-century mark. His mother hugged him... "My son-... oh, are you alright?" She asked, the 4'11" Greek woman being permanently worried about her youngest son.

"Mamá... It's fine, it's just a concussion and a small skull fracture". Said Montgomery as his mother finally let him go and they started the walk home, he and his brother walked at the front while the ladies walked in the back as is proper, but his mother didn't stop her worried tangent.

"Oh-... it'd be the end of the world and you'd still say it's fine... you need to be more careful Montgomery... my son won't die in battle, no, he'll die because he fell off the wrong curb". She said and Montgomery had to strain not to laugh, his older brother Paris was less fortunate and he let the softest chuckle strain from his mouth.

Montgomery had the urge to comment on it, but he didn't want to start bickering with his older brother less than 30 minutes after he had arrived so he kept quiet. Paris was the one to unlock the door once they arrived at their estate. A gorgeous Victorian villa with a beautiful garden. Montgomery was hit with a wave of what could only be described as: home.

As he entered the home, he took off his shoes, coat and cap before the maid led him to the living area. His brother followed suit, then his mother, his sister and Paris' fiancee whose named Katharina.

They all sat in silence while a servant poured tea, "Will father be attending the wedding, Paris?" Montgomery asked after quietly thanking the servant who answered with a bow and then quietly walked off to the kitchen... Paris gave a defeated sigh, "Montgomery-". His mother took the word instead of Paris... but Paris shook his head and cut his mother off: "It was intended he would... but as of late father has been incredibly busy... I do hope he attends but, I fear that he won't be making it to the wedding".

Montgomery let out a breath at the news, he saw how Paris grabbed Katherina's hand softly, the rings around their fingers twinkling ever so slightly under the light of the chandelier above them.

"Well... I do hope the same, Father didn't attend Penelope's marriage already, it'd be a shame if he didn't attend yours". Montgomery pointed to his sister as he said this, who in response gave a solemn nod... "now we are talking about you, Penelope, I heard the great news, is it true you're expecting again?" asked Montgomery, a sort of excitement in his voice... he loved his little nephew dearly, he always enjoyed getting letters that had little drawings of him with them, and was excited to hear word his sister was pregnant once more.

His sister nodded with a smile, "It's true... I'm now 2 months far, Jacques sadly couldn't make it to London, he still had some business to do back in Paris... but he'll be there for the wedding, and Henry will come too". She said with a small smile and Montgomery smiled softly, "I can't wait to finally meet this French man who swept my sister off her feet". He said and his sister laughed softly.

Montgomery was excited, the thought of the war had almost completely left him at this point, no more Squadron 540, no more planes to fly or no more waking up at the crack of dawn... no more Red Baron. Home was Montgomery's Valhalla.

As the day progressed and the topics changed from war to marriage to everything Montgomery had missed in the two years he was gone from home, soon came the time for dinner. Everyone was seated around the table, in silence, waiting for both dinner to be served and for the pater familia to join them. Instead of Wilbur Armstrong, a short and chubby maid entered the room, "Sir Armstrong won't be joining you for dinner, and has said to go about it without him". She announced before leaving the room once more an annoyed groan came from Paris while Montgomery's mother simply sighed in defeat.

The seat across from her shall stay empty for yet another family dinner.

The sound of plates and cutlery colliding filled the room as dinner was served, it consisted of pheasant with gravy and a salad made of winter legumes paired with a red wine Montgomery found tasted like eating the prickly part of a berry bush. He wasn't complaining about anything though, he felt like he was inhaling the meal, he didn't know what they were feeding him at the airfield, it had to be cardboard or something along the lines of that because what he had now was like eating a taste of heaven, he could almost hear the angels singing a hymn just for him.

Dinner was eaten in silence as is proper, except for the ever-so-soft compliment of the food or a soft thank you to the servant who made sure no whine or water glass was left empty.

Montgomery finished his plate, and then waited patiently for everyone else to finish before saying, "You'll have to excuse me, I think I'll be retiring to my bedroom early tonight". He said as he stood from his chair.

"Of course dear, you sleep in tomorrow, you deserve it". His mother said with a soft smile. "I will mamá... Καληνύχτα". Montgomery said and his mother nodded with a soft smile: "Καληνύχτα".

[Καληνύχτα (=Kalinigta) basically means good night in Greek, and is only said when you're going to bed]