Chapter 70: Birthday Celebration

Start from the beginning

As for Jennie, Chen Rou Qiu did not know from where she heard that Old Shen Furen had secretly accepted the Wei family's eight character card. From that day onwards, she changed from her previous silence, and now resisted like crazy. She also threatened to oppose the marriage and run away from it. When Old Shen Furen heard those words it became a big matter. Ren Wan Yun and Old Shen Furen considered that with the current wild behaviour emerging from Jennie, there was a definite possibility that she was able to run away from the marriage. However nothing must happen to Jennie as if anything went wrong with her, the exchange of marriage with Shen Qing would not be successful.

Thus after Jennie's threatened to oppose the marriage, Old Shen Furen and Ren Wan Yun did not give up, and went through it to the end and locked Jennie in the ancestral hall. The ancestral hall was the southwest most corner of the courtyard, and usually no one would be able to see it. The guards that were outside it had increased by half and the life contracts of all the maids in the Western courtyard, including Jennie's four personal maids, were all in Old Shen Furen's hands.

The implied meaning was that if there was any little action from Jennie, these few maids' life would not be safe.

Thus these days Jennie was locked in the Shen family ancestral hall and chanted scriptures every day. Ren Wan Yun hoped that this would grind down Jennie's stubborn temperament and also to prevent additional accidents from happening. Today was Old Shen Furen's birthday banquet and if Jennie was released, one was afraid that she would say something shocking in front of everyone, thus after a discussion with Old Shen Furen, it was decided that Jennie was not allowed to appear in front of everyone.

Thinking of Jennie, made Ren Wan Yun's head start to ache. She has been in a big household for so many years, but now she was unable to know what a little girl is even thinking about. To say Jennie was an idiot, but she was able to quietly calculated everyone on Shen Qing's matter. To say she was calm, but she showed off her military strength. There was no choice other than to lock her up.

After Chen Rou Qiu appreciated Ren Wan Yun's marvellous expression, she said with a smile, "Qing-er's health is still not good and it is not convenient for her to come out. Most probably after Old Furen's birthday then she will come out. Miao-er is infected by an illness and cannot be in contact with wind as there are rashes on her face. There are so many young ladies present and one is afraid that it would be spread to the young ladies, so she stayed in the room."

If one were to say that Jennie was ill, then it is inevitable that people would go and visit out of curiosity, but if one were to say that this illness could be spread out, then no one would be interested to ask about Jennie. Especially since young ladies were concerned of beauty, how would they take such a big risk just to visit her.

Jiang Xiao Xuan's mother, Jiang Furen, also laughed and spoke with some probing, "So it is like this. I still thought that it was because both young ladies were busy embroidering wedding dresses that they would not even be willing to see us. Wan Yun must take care of the young ladies so that in the future when they get married, matters would not be delayed." After saying those words, it attracted a crowd of women who started echoing them.

The rumours of the marriage proposals of the Wei and Huang families were spread out in the Ding capital and it created an uproar, but unfortunately the Shen family did not confirm anything. This made one felt somewhat strange, and there were a number of people who tried to sound them out. It was still a mystery as to exactly which young lady would be married to which gentleman. Now that Jiang Furen asked, everyone would like to hear the truth about this marriage uproar.