tardy

You were late.

To be fair, the other guard who was supposed to be on duty as well was also late. However, that didn't change the fact that you were huffing and puffing in that horrible armor, blindly stumbling up stairs with a visor over your eyes. You could vaguely hear conversation in the grand pavilion, its majestic arches and carvings casting shadows upon the path. You continued stumbling up the cobblestone steps, trying to go faster.

The loaner armor still fit you atrociously. It almost seemed cursed with how inconvenient it was. It was overly heavy, making your legs ache, and the visor refused to stay in place. It was a wonder that you hadn't fallen on your face or walked into something yet.

As you climbed, Zelda's voice could be heard from inside, seemingly beginning some kind of meeting. "I've asked to call a meeting today to discuss the—"

Clunk. You ran headfirst into the wall, effectively interrupting her. Embarrassing!

They were silent as you readjusted yourself and turned your back to them, standing stiffly. You'd snuck a peek before you turned and recognized both Zelda and Link inside, along with four other people inside dressed in blue. Obviously, you recognized Revali's annoyed muttering. These are the other Champions, aren't they? The princess awkwardly cleared her throat, regaining the group's attention. You wondered if she recognized you in this getup.

"...As I was saying, I've called a meeting to discuss the rise in monster activity across Hyrule. I know the Hebra region lately has had a surge in boko—"

Thunk. Your helm fell out of place, clattering disruptively. You clumsily slid it back, trying to retain some semblance of dignity. You could practically feel their irritated stares. Where the hell is the other guard when you need them?

"Bokoblin camps are becoming much more common in the Hebra region, and Lizalfos have been spotted in Lanayru, concerningly close to Zora's Domain." She said. She tried to carry on, but...

Thunk. Your helmet betrayed you once again and you rushed to fix it. You heard Zelda grumble a bit before continuing.

"My father has offered to send troops to—"

Thunk.

"Oh, for the love of—" Zelda seethed, turning towards you. "Take off that blasted helmet, its distracting." she nearly shouted, watching you struggle to keep it straight.

Well, twist my arm! Fuck this uniform. You immediately pulled it off your head, sighing in relief.

Zelda looked shocked. So she didn't recognize you. "Oh! Its you." The Champions all turn to look at you, and Revali frowned upon meeting your gaze. "What a coincidence!"

"Ugh, I should've known it was you," he sighed exasperatedly. "Is there no escape from you? It's like you're haunting me." Everyone collectively ignored him, more concerned with how the princess knew you, though Link looked on blankly.

"You know this soldier, your highness?" asked the gerudo woman from before. She looked you up and down, gaze hinted with suspicion.

"I believe you two briefly met back at the Flight Range, correct?" Revali offered, crossing his wings nonchalantly. The zora girl glanced up at him curiously.

"Oh, well yes, but we also gave them a ride here." Zelda said casually, copying his energy. The Champions all looked at her in surprise as she walked over to you with a smile. "How have you been, stranger? How has training been suiting you?"

"Not well," you said dryly, gesturing to your armor. The breastplate was too big and the gauntlets were much too tight, though the fingers on the gloves were still somehow too long by an inch or two. The grieves actually fit fine, thankfully, but you otherwise looked like a poorly made scarecrow. "This is a punishment, after all."