Chapter 8 - A Heated Homecoming

WARNING: The following is an unofficial, fanmade story. Kingdom Hearts is owned by Square Enix, the Walt Disney Company, and Tetsuya Nomura.

"Alright, let's get the lights ready, the camera in place and the action to narrate! I only have ten minutes before I gotta pick up my wife from the airport.", said Smokey to his crew. It was another day of work for the staff of Toontown News, broadcasted from a blimp that flew around the city. He sat down at the desk and started reading the script that included the events from the previous days, which don't really need an explanation if you've read the whole story up to this point. He was used to telling these news almost every day so he could easily say them at a faster pace than usual.
He read the script and was going to give the cameraman the sign to start recording until...
A black portal spawned right beside the cowboy robot. It was Mortimer. Without even introducing himself, he created a magnetic field right below the blimp, which had the cowboy robot journalist fall to the ground of it, and had the whole structure slowly decrease in altitude.
"What... Do you want from... Us?" asked Smokey, barely able to talk because of the intense gravity he was subjected to.
"This hero you continue to speak of... It's starting to really get on my nerves. Always the same news of some rebels wreaking havoc all across Isignia. Don't you get any revenue or attention from telling the same story over and over again?", asked Mortimer.
"The If it bleeds, it leads cause does not work in this case. The population of Toontown is the most sad it's been since the very first Keyblade War. There's already many things we're going through, so we can't rub salt into the wound!", replied an angry Smokey.
"So you do care about not further damaging the hearts of your people. Are you going to feel the same after this?", said the evil rat. He then increased the magnetic field, causing the blimp to fall faster, and completely immobilizing the robotic journalist.
"This is my ultimatum. Either you tell your readers that the spark has vanished, or... You fall to the ground with the blimp... Your choice.", added Mortimer.
Smokey thought for a second, but he knew that if he obliged with the rat, it would have made things easier for Mizrabel, and a second invasion would have been met with... Zero resistance, and people actively asking to be corrupted, just to have a different perspective of existence. So, pridefully, he told his staff to get the emergency parachutes and escape, and he said to Mortimer:
"I'm going down with the ship. If I break, the hope will not. They're going to find out, and stop you before I know it.".
"... You're much more brave than I expected. Fine, have a proper end to your story.", said Mortimer. He tripled the strength of the magnetic field, and left from the same black portal from which he originated. The intense gravity caused the balloon keeping the structure afloat to burst, having Smokey fall from a distance of 100 meters. PK saw all that, so he tried to rescue the robotic journalist before it was too late. He used a harpoon to try and catch him. It did land, and he tried to pull him back but... He hit the ground. And his chest, where his battery was placed as a replacement for a human heart, was the first thing to hit the surface. The masked duck rushed to him, afraid that he wasn't able to save him.
When he got close, he had a good look at the damage the fall had done to him. His chest got opened, leaving the battery exposed. It was starting to discharge, but it gave Smokey just enough time to tell anything to the masked duck.
"Donald.... I'm... Sorry...", he said.
"This can't be... Who did this to you?", asked a desperate PK.
"Call... Riku...", said Smokey, finishing all the remaining energy in his heart, resulting in his shutdown. Luckily, it was not a permanent death, as his memory was still intact where biological beings have their brain, but he immediately reached out to the previously mentioned grey haired boy about what happened, and his worries about something big:

Smokey's incident could potentially be the first sign of a second invasion of Toontown.

Deeper into space, the team of Keyblade Wielders (and Nyx) had just recovered from the beating they took while fighting the corrupted Jack Skellington. Tonitrus picked back up all of his defeated teammates one by one, and they were now roaming the stars in search of a new destination.
"That sure was something. You said he was a rookie, yeah? Cause it's odd that we get trashed like that and the new one is the one that saved us, you know what I mean?", asked Roxas to Riku.
"If you wanna bring up about the Chosen One, me and Xion have talked about this in your absence. He's just doing his thing as a Wielder. Such as his nature.", replied the grey haired boy.
"He might have a point, though. Maybe I've worn out a little when I was trying to sustain myself in Twilight Town. Which reminds me, what were you doing back when we couldn't reach out?", asked Xion.
"You remember that stun attack from way back? I was sent to the Holiday Worlds of Old, completely stripped of any of my powers. But I did try to make the best of my situation and visit the Holiday Towns from time to time, and just by interacting with the people there, my powers gradually returned. I started to use one Keyblade again, then remember some spells, and then gained back the access to the other Keyblade! So to me, it feels like our hearts got wounded, but by strengthening new or old bonds, said wound can heal back. I think that's what all three of us are going through, and eventually, it will be whole again.", explained Roxas.
"A spell meant to damage the heart from the inside... Mizrabel's henchmen really have some interesting weapons on their side. But it's nice to see there is a cure to that, at least.", said Xion.