[26] Ten Reasons

Ten Reasons

Ten Reasons

After spending a small amount of time with Rois, it was clear to Nate and Lara that they wouldn't learn much more than Deag already knew. Lara decided it was time to see just what was in the briefcase. There had to be research she surmised, patient notes, something. They all gathered around tables they had pulled together, and Nate busted the small lock off. Inside, each nestled in its own indention were ten stainless steel syringes.

A collective gasp which quickly turned to several agreed upon curses flew from the lips of them all. Below in the bottom part of the case, were the copious notes and observations dating back for years, by none other than Dr. Claira Lottridge, but it was Haven's incredulous information which was by far the most damning of the whole twisted plot that began a decade earlier and carried out in the most nefarious of ways.

She grabbed a lanyard on which hung a company ID resting on the top of the volumes of paperwork and held it up to the light, exclaiming, unbelievably, that she knew the woman in the photo. Hollis and Verbena joined her in their remembrance of a woman whom they said had been at the diner the day the news broke. The woman who had gotten into an argument with Seth over where Haven would be staying. They'd thought she worked at the pregnancy center.

"No," Haven whispered. "She was a doctor, who had come in to vaccinate the girls living there. The head of the center told us we had to get them in order to stay. She said they were MMR boosters. She said every pregnant woman received them. They looked just like those."

"Didn't you think it was strange for her to follow you to the diner?" Verbena asked. "And why didn't you tell us?"

"I don't know," Haven answered. She was flustered and defensive. "I just didn't think about it. I don't know, and after that day I didn't stay at the center anymore, she admitted quietly."

"Well it doesn't matter now, Haven." Lara reassured her. "Now we need to go through this paperwork. I think our answers will be right here."

Haven was visibly upset. "Do you think I'm going to die?" her voice quivered with emotion and tears sprang up in her eyes.

Verbena rushed to her side. "No, no, sweetie. Your going to be just fine. Now stop it. Your tired. Lets' go lay down for a while and give Lara time to read through all this."

Haven nodded struggling to stand up. Hollis and Verbena helped her and took her back to where they had set up cots to rest.

Deag had stayed back with his kids and Nate went to tell him what they had discovered.

Lara took the notebooks and journals out and spread them across the table then carefully shut the briefcase. She had a lot of reading to do.

Nate returned and sat down with her. She gave him a weak smile and he surprised her by pulling her up from the chair to look deeply into her dark blue eyes.