[11] A Stones Throw Away

A Stones Throw Away

A Stones Throw Away

Activity at the U.S. Army base in Fort Carson was a mixed confusion of complete structured chaos to Nathan who was used to his coordinated organization at the CGRC.

The moment they arrived they had been ushered straight through decontamination and into a private facility where they were told to shower and given fresh clothing.

Agent Halburg was questioned extensively about Nathan, to which she was given clearance to have him with her.

After that they were given a hot meal and asked if they wanted to spend the night. Nathan didn't realize he was holding his breath until Halburg politely refused that luxury, insisting that it was imperative they get on to Cortez, and human life depended on it. Of course, that was generally agreed upon and the two of them were escorted back to her Tahoe which had been discreetly scrubbed clean. Military order fascinated Nate. But they had no sooner loaded up when a Staff Lieutenant ran up to Halburg's window waving her out.

She got back out and then came back opening the door and stuck her head in. "We have to go back in, Nathan. There was a call from the Pentagon and the Chief Specialist said I cannot leave without current stats update."

'Fine, Agent, I'll wait here, if that's all." Nathan replied.

She was already shaking her head. "You know it's not safe out here."

Nathan unclicked his seatbelt, got out and came around and they followed the second lieutenant back through the decom and then to the operations unit. He led them to personnel headquarters and told Nathan to wait in an existing support facility room.

Agent Halburg was gone a good forty-five minutes, then without warning he heard an explosive argument pour out into the hall down from where she had gone, and he moved out of the room to see what the commotion was. There stood Agent Halburg and several high-ranking officers around her. Tensions were thick as she yelled at them, and her arms undulated in anger. "Just for the record Officer Sinclair, I am not in agreement with this! It's not at all a good idea and will result in absolute pandemonium across the country! You don't have the right to enforce rogue actions in Washington, or anywhere else!" she erupted violently.

"We haven't got a choice Agent Halburg. It's going to happen anyway. Don't you understand it's the only way we can protect infrastructure from complete meltdown? We don't have enough military personnel to cover every border in every state indefinitely. We must be aggressive in our efforts to keep the country from complete and absolute breakdown. This is a national state of emergency. We won't have a country left if we don't take action, and your arguments are just unfounded." Sinclair tried to reason with her.

"I don't care! I won't stay here and be a part of this."

"Agent Halburg! Your bordering on insubordination. Have you seen what's going on out there at all? Ramiro will be just one of thousands of dead agents or maybe that doesn't matter to you," Sinclair spouted back, who Nathan supposed was the Chief Specialist.