The engine of Madelyn car rumbled deeply.

"Oh damn," she muttered, pulling over to the side of the road. She jumped out of the car and opened the hood. A gust of steam flew out toward her. Frustrated, she pulled her phone from her pocket and dialled. 

After speaking with Keith she walked back to her car but once she opened the door, a large gust of wind swept through the air. And with it blew away the loose notebook pages from her backseat.

"No, no, no, no, no," She tried to grab them but was unable to grab them in time.

Angered, she collapsed down on the grass, looking out onto the water.

You can walk away and say "we don't need this",
But theres something in your eyes says we can beat this,
Because these things will change

Soon enough, she heard a car roll up and stop next to her. 

"Hey, you alright?" she turned around to see Lucas walking up beside her. 

"Yeah, it's just not my day I guess," she muttered.

"What do you mean?" he sat down next to her.

"You ever had something that just means so much to you that you don't wanna share it because you don't want other people to ruin it for you?" she looked up at him.

"Does this have something to do with that notebook you're always writing in?" he asked cautiously, he motioned to the book sitting in her lap.

"You've noticed that?" she asked embarrassedly.

"Yeah, what are you writting in that thing because you seem pretty broken up about losing a page or two?" he asked.

"It was more than just- ugh. It's personal," she said eventually.

"What's more personal than the entire town knowing you're entire family's backstory?" he asked, sending her a comforting smile.

"Okay, listen. If I tell you this, you cannot tell a single person, okay? I mean it, not even Haley. Okay?" 

"I promise," he agreed, laughing.

She held up her pinky to him.

"Really?" he asked.

She raised her eyebrows at him.

"Fine," he wrapped her pinky around his.

"Okay," she took a deep breath. "I write music. It's not really full songs but I write lyrics based on things that I see or experience or-"

"That's great, Madelyn," Lucas cut her off. 

"I mean- I don't know if it's great but-"

"Can I read some?" he motioned to the notebook she clutched tightly.

"Just don't judge me. I'm not very good yet," she cautiously passed him the notebook.

"Wow," he muttered, his eyes glancing around at the different pages. 

"God I know it's so bad! And now that some of them just blew away, people are gonna find them and everyone's gonna know how awful-"

"What?! No!" he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her into his side, "Madelyn this is amazing! I mean, you have a serious way with words! Why are you so afraid to share this with people?" he looked down to her. 

She was frozen, going ridgid as she focused on how soft his hold was on her. She took a deep breath and tried to answer him, "I guess I just feel like my friends won't really get it and then I won't wanna do it anymore and I really just don't wanna lose something I love so much," she explained softly.

MINE | l. scottजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें