Ch. 28: Part Four

Începe de la început

Damian panicked that they had been found out, but the rare agent they saw didn't spare them a second glance other than to tell Mr. Forger to return the children to confinement.

They ran for a couple more minutes, finding their way through the lab, and eventually Mr. Forger slowed to a stop at a corner and rounded it casually.

At a door, two agents stood guard and Mr. Forger walked right up to them.

Damian's heart pounded harder the closer they got and he was sure this was a bad idea.

"What are you doing here?" One of them asked. "These subjects shouldn't even be out of their c—"

Whack! Thud!

In less than a second, Mr. Forger incapacitated the agents with a strike of his foot, and Damian would have jumped back if he didn't have a firm grasp of his hand.

What the heck?! WASN'T HE SUPPOSED TO BE A PSYCHIATRIST?!

Mr. Forger's foot nudged a body out of the way of the door and stood close to it, listening intently and lowering his head as if it helped him hear better. Damian heard voices and noises, but couldn't discern the number of people, or what they were doing.

"Loid!" A woman's voice called from down the hall and Damian knew this one as well. He heard it and surely he was mistaken. Mr. Forger was here for some reason, so maybe it shouldn't have surprised him, but he looked to the source and he paled at the sight of Mrs. Forger approaching them.

Blood.

Blood, blood, blood, blood, dripping, streaking, and spattered across her face. It soaked her top, her pants, stained her hands, and despite her dark clothing, it was so thick it showed clearly. The strands of hair streaming down her face were stuck together from half-way down, and tainted a new colour. The front of her body was covered in red and she looked like she'd just emerged from a massacre.

Damian was gonna hurl.

What was she doing here? Whose blood was that? It definitely wasn't her's. What did she do? What happened? Did someone die?! DID SHE KILL SOMEONE?! HOW MANY?!

Damian was very scared.

Suddenly the Forgers were nothing like the commoner family he thought they were and he was now positive they were all crazy.

"Anya." Mrs. Forger immediately went to her while Damian gaped at the woman who very nearly smeared blood in Forger's hair before catching herself.

"Yor." Mr. Forger said, completely unruffled by her appearance. "I've determined at least seven people inside the hangar. You've left a trail of blood behind behind you, so we should go quickly before someone follows and alerts others to our location."

That's it?! Damian thought. You have nothing else to say about this?!

"Oh." Mrs. Forger glanced behind her as if it'd completely slipped her mind. "Right. Well, it might not matter. I think most everyone is de— Oh!" She finally noticed Damian and he flinched at her sudden attention. "Right. . . hello, Damian. . ." She said rather awkwardly, like she'd forgotten he was supposed to be here, and it troubled her. But she smiled all the same and he doubted she was aware how disturbing it looked with her face speckled with blood.

"H. . .hi. . . ." He breathed and it was all he could manage. He gripped Mr. Forger's hand tighter, though he wasn't all sure he shouldn't be afraid of him too. Should he be wary of them? There was obviously a lot more going on that he didn't know of, but they'd still come to rescue him.

That's more than his own father had done.

Is what he automatically went to, but he'd been here less than a day. The Forger's were only here so quickly because they'd followed a tracker.

Donovan Desmond would not not search for a missing son, if only for appearance's sake.

"Ready?" Mr. Forger let go of Damian's hand to grasp the door's handle, and with it, some of Damian's security.

"Of course." His wife pulled knives out of nowhere and spun them like she'd done it a thousand times. "Let's go."

There was no pretence, no attempt to make the agents think the Forger's were one of them, no effort to even try to hide the presence of the children. The door was opened and they were seen. A blood soaked Mrs. Forger, Subject 007 in Mr. Forger's arms, and the hostage close behind.

The Forgers attacked.

"Stay there!" Mrs. Forger commanded Damian as she hid him behind a car and flew off.

It was loud.

Damian didn't move, huddling by a wheel, and he couldn't think straight or bring himself to peek out at the action. He flinched when gunfire went off, and his breath caught each time someone screamed before it was swiftly cut short. There were a few cracks that sounded like bones breaking, and a body rammed into a car.

Damian didn't know what to think, he didn't know how to feel. He was terrified and beyond relieved that they had come for them. He warily poked his head out when quiet fell, and Mrs. Forger was pulling a knife from someone's eye.

Damian slapped a hand over his mouth. He was gonna puke.

Corpses littered the ground, but it wasn't too bloody. A couple limbs lay at unnatural angles and most of them weren't breathing.

Damian realized he was still still shaking, but for a new reason as he surveyed the quick work the Forgers had made of these people. It was barely a moment and it was enough for them to easily deal with the agents.

'Who are these people?' He thought and he was scared. Scared of the Forgers, of what they could do, he wasn't sure.

'Who are they, who are they?' He couldn't pull his gaze from the bodies sprawled on the ground and he had never seen so many dead people. He'd never seen one dead person before.

His trust for the Forgers became very shaky and he couldn't reconcile it with the simultaneous ease that they were on his side. That they had come for him and Forger, protected them, but he couldn't help the unsettling apprehension that crept over him like needles over his arms and shoulders. He was caught between fear of the situation and the Forgers, and fear of what might've happened had they not come.

"Damian, don't look." Desmond flinched at the man who strode over and crouched in front on him, blocking his line of sight. "Everything's okay. You're okay." He sounded so confident and comforting. He spoke as if he hadn't just killed people and Damian's gaze was pulled to the disturbing sight. "These were bad people and it was a life or death situation. What's important is that you're safe." He told him and Damian still didn't know what to think. "C'mon." Mr. Forger was in a hurry and stood as he took a dazed Damian's hand, making him turn away from the carnage and to a vehicle. The young Desmond was barely aware of being lifted up and buckled in, and the sound of the door closing, was dulled.