Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

Anya dared not hold his gaze and fidgeted nervously with the bench's lip. She knew what he was talking about, but he wasn't supposed to know anything about it.

Something had gone wrong. They had to be fine, they had to, they had to, they had to. They weren't regular people after all, and the director wouldn't be so angry if they weren't okay.

The thought kept her together, though she could feel herself shrivelling. She knew he would make her pay for this and he had probably already planned to. He'd just been too busy to deal with her. She prayed and prayed that that was still the case. Just a little longer. . .

"Anya." His voice grated. "WHERE IS IT?!" He shouted suddenly and Anya jolted, closing her eyes tight as his palm banged loudly on the table. The trays clattered and the plastic utensils bounced. She covered her face with her hands as if they could hide her from him.

The director's voice dipped low again and dredged every bit of fury with it, his words compacted into a quieter tone as if there was too much to contain. "You have to the count of ten." He didn't say what happened after. He didn't need to. He didn't bother counting out loud, either, as Anya hid for another moment behind her hands, because he knew she would listen.

With her vision blurred by watery eyes, Anya slowly retracted her hands and took the edge of her sleeve. She folded it back, her fingers not so nimble, up to her elbow where a strip of cloth was wrapped around her upper forearm. There was small lump, that when revealed as she took off the strip, was a small, black, square disk about the width of her wrist. Her Papa had given it to her and she didn't want to relinquish it, but she breathed deeply, shuddering a tired whimper as emotions swelled in her throat, and placed it on the table.

Kai stared at it, unmoving. Then with none of the haste Anya expected, reached for it and dragged it towards him. It slid and scraped against the old marred surface and he let his hand rest there while he considered the object he held. It tapped against the table as his hand flipped over, pinning it underneath, and he looked back to Anya. "You have been making very bad choices lately." He said through gritted teeth. "That's going to have to change." He held eye contact as he called for Fisher and only when she appeared in the doorway did it break. He pushed off the table, taking the disk with him. "Lock these two up until I can deal with them." He spat as he strode briskly to the door. "And make it quick! I need you immediately!" He demanded, already in the hallway.

Anya was lifted out of her seat before she could move and Fisher grabbed a dazed Damian's wrist. They were whisked down the halls and Agent Fisher stopped at the door that Kai had opened earlier. The wheel was turned, the lock was unlocked, and Fisher pulled on the handle.

The rush here was discombobulating and when the metal cranked, Anya found herself sweating.

They were pushed inside quickly, and the door thudded closed behind them. Anya spun at the sound, the lock system settling firmly in place, then Fisher rushing down the hall.

For a long moment she faced the door that looked identical to her previous one. The one she'd spent countless hours behind, countless mornings staring at, knowing it'd be opened soon and she'd be pulled out to "study" or "work". It'd blocked her freedom and now she almost wished it'd stay closed. She wanted to hide, turn out the lights, and believe she could be forgotten here in the dark. A hole in the ground where Kai wouldn't be able to find her.

He'd included Damian in his threats, he would get hurt too. If the director got here first. . . .what was she going to do? Wouldn't it mean her parents were hurt? Or. . . .worse. . . ?

No, she couldn't think like that. Her parents were coming, she'd be fine, they'd be fine.

She turned from the door and the room was exactly like her old one minus the window and the stool. A cot sat in the corner and a door presumably led to a washroom.