•6• UNIT •6•

The day my heart was finally all broken, was the day my life started anew.

I lost all faith in the man I once thought might've loved me.

The moment I saw proof for him once being president Saxon, and that his enemy- the doctor, was actually a good person, I felt lied to and betrayed.

I was too quick to believe him, was I...

"T-This isn't fair."
I tried to let go of my feelings.
"He... he needs to be captured."

"You can see it through, if you'd like to join UNIT."
Dr. Kate offered.

"You want me to join?"
I was quite surprised.

"I've seen your resume. You can handle our technology and systems with a bit of practice. And you knowing him personally... Well, you will be a great asset to us. What do you say?"

And so, I moved back into the city.

I escaped this place because of all the alien drama, but now I'm returning to dive into it head first.

•●•●•●•

"CHIEF!"

Yup, that's me.
Chief L/n, Head of Master affairs.

"Yes?"

"Dr. Kate is calling. It's urgent."

"Of course it is..."
I sighed.

Every time something weird happens that doesn't immediately correlate to any known threat, I'm being called to analyse it and decide whether the master had anything to do with that.

"Yes, boss. How may I help?"

"We are waiting on the Doctor, actually. These are Tegan and Ace, they used to travel with her decades back. They were also the ones who brought up the problem to us.
Oh, I better go now. Please fill the chief in on everything, ladies."
Kate said and hurried away.

"We came here because a lot of famous pieces of art disappeared."
Ace said.

"And we were told that some of the world's leading seismologists have gone missing recently, too."
Tegan told me.

"What's your job, chief, if I might ask?"
Ace wondered.

"Being the last known person to be in contact with him, I am the head of Master affairs."

I couldn't even start to describe the way their expressions faltered when they heard the name.

"He's... still out there...?"
They were horrified.

"I was with him just before the VOR scandal."

"Is that so?"
A woman I now recognise as the doctor stepped in with Kate.

...naturally, she had an awkward reunion with her past companions.
Especially with the fact she has Yasmim Khan with her.

"You've got a whole department just for the Master?"
The doctor questioned me.

"Correct. At your service, Doctor."
I straightened my back.

"So what was so urgent, Kate?"
She asked her.

"This is why I brought you in. Let's start with the paintings. Taken out of public view because all of them, we've discovered, have been defaced. The face of Rasputin inserted into every painting."

"What? Let me see."
The doctor requested, and as the first example appeared on screen, I almost completely lost my cool.

"T-That's him!"
I pointed out.