31: Happy With Finding Nothing

Harlow

I was going through the motions. Working to stock the winter cache. Working on any task Revel sent me to.

In my mother's house, the kitchen was full. Sorcerers danced around each other in the small space. Jordan was proofing the yeast while Felicity kneaded more of the dough. The scent wafted around the counters and drifted along the table, and its warmth rose within me. I moved through the groups, checking on each step of the process.

"Going good so far?" I asked Genevieve when I reached the oven.

She set the kitchen timer and leaned against the counter. "I got the easiest job by far. But I'll take it."

The cooling racks were set, and the only sorcerer to her left was my mother. She waved. I returned it before turning around to tell Revel I was done, ready for another task.

I needed to occupy my mind. Needed to run through the options and have more time.

When I found Revel, she said, "You're doing great! Think you could find a place for all of this once it's done?"

"Absolutely."

It didn't take long for me to do exactly that. There was a lot of free space in the house, and Revel was right—it smelled nice. And it gave me an idea.

Time cooled by quickly, and the sorcerers diminished even faster. Mom ushered Jordan and Revel through the doorway, shutting it loud enough that the kitchen table shook. Every time she closed it, the slam got louder, as though the rest of our company would get the hint.

The remaining company were Felicity and Genevieve, however, so it wasn't likely.

The former helped me carry the loaves of fresh bread, wrapping them like presents in the tea towels.

"You can have some if you want," I said.

She grinned. "I've been eyeing them all day. So glad you noticed."

I rolled my eyes as she tucked the next loaf into her grip and skipped off. Maybe the bribe would also work with Genevieve.

The other girl got to me first. My mother had clearly knocked her out of the kitchen, judging by the half-finished cleaning job left in her wake.

"You contacted the outside," she said.

My eyes narrowed. She figured it out so fast? Sure, I'd been meeting with River more often, if only to rant about the Rift to someone who wouldn't immediately tell on me. I couldn't confide in anyone on the inside that I had doubts. So stifling.

"What's it to you?"

She didn't answer. I asked again, but she merely started for the door, whirled around and said, "Nothing, really. Nothing but leverage."

Competition. But strangely, I turned around, resolute, to help my mother. The basin filled under my hazy vision. We weren't facing each other for a long moment. The tiles above the sink glimmered with a glossy residue of cacti and fireflies. Lars always called magic by that nickname of sorts, as though she was more than just an entity, but inhabiting other entities.