Cryptic Crypts

After the race was completed, the teams dried off as everyone gathered on the quad. Wednesday still stood in her downcast demeanor, while Enid happily smiled beside her, the rest of their winning team behind them.

The sound of the microphone echoed through the area, as Ms. Weems started her speech, "The first Poe Cup took place in 1897 not only as a way to honor Nevermore's most famous alumni but to celebrate those values that all outcasts share. And we certainly saw those values on display today."

The principal grabbed the night black trophy off of the pedestal as she handed it off to Enid. The werewolf beamed with joy as she raised up her winning prize and screamed.

Everyone erupted into cheers and adulations as Ms. Weems continued into the mic, "Congratulations to Ophelia Hall! As a former resident, I will be happy to see the cup back on the mantle after all these years."

As the cheers and adulations continued, Wednesday quietly slipped off stage. Pushing past everyone as she ducked into the shadows of the main hall. 

She quickly found a quiet corner, beside a metal statue of Edgar Allen Poe. She let out a deep breath as she sat down under it. And slowly her gaze trailed upwards to the cover of the book Poe was holding. And she gasped lightly as she saw the same symbol from the map, engraved onto the book. A skull placed on the center of a blooming flower.

"What are you doing down here?"

Enid suddenly popped in from around the corner. Wednesday turned her gaze to her as she replied, "Hiding"

The young werewolf grabbed her by the arm and lifted her up. The two of them continued down the hall as Wednesday continued.

"People keep randomly smiling at me it's unsettling," she said.

"It's called having your moment. You took down Bianca Barclay, try to enjoy it." Enid responded, "The girls want to know if you'll hang out later."

The two stopped as they came back out to the quad, as Enid finished, "Come on socializing won't kill you."

Wednesday nodded lightly, "I'll think about it."

Enid smiled nodding back to her before skipping off onto the grass, into her crowd of friends.

Wednesday simply watched for a moment from the sidelines, when Ms. Weems walked up beside her.

"It's good to see you fitting in. Just like your mother."

Wednesday's cold gaze remained unphased, "My mother and I are two different people/species/everything."

Ms. Weems glanced over to Enid's table, celebrating the trophy as she continued, "The last time Ophelia Hall won the Poe Cup, your mother captained the team. And I was her co-pilot."

The principal smiled lightly on Wednesday, "Perhaps you two or more alike than you think."

As the sounds of adulation and the cheers of joy echoed out from Nevermore. Far out in the forest, a certain student walked along a dead-beaten path. Blocking out the noise of the school behind him, and the unease surrounding his visage.

He zipped up his coat as a cold breeze blew by him, and did his best to keep his gaze to the ground. Because he knew all around him those looming black figures watched him like parasites.

He kept walking and felt his leg get caught on a sharp branch sticking out on the path. He stumbled forward a bit as the twig gave away and broke off. Leaving a rip in his pants and a small scrap. And involuntarily he felt a surge of hunger, at the sight and smell of blood dripping from his skin. But he quickly shook it off and kept walking.