CHAPTER 3

I quite literally hate how my body functions sometimes.

Waking up from the little mishap that I had, I felt like my skull was splitting open and that my nose was clogged with snot up to my brain. Everything seemed so hazy and strange.

I was inside of the nurse's office, laid upon one of those low quality, underfunded creaky beds that they used to examine any injuries on students.

The room was decorated with a bunch of vintage posters and health propaganda. The first thing I saw was our school mascot, a strange, mystical purple bobcat that our cheerleaders intended on worshiping for some weird reason.

There were cotton balls in each of my nostrils, keeping me from bleeding like Niagara falls. Ven was seated next to my bed. He was half asleep, as if he was waiting for me for hours on end.

I wondered what had really happened to me.

The clock read four PM. Mom must've been worried, as I assumed that the school called her during work. I didn't want to make dinner alone by myself at home. Right now, sticking with Ven would be a better idea.

If he'd let me.

"Hey- Ven." I quietly nudged him with my hand. My voice and tone sounded numb because of the cotton inside of my nose. I made sure to remove them from my nasal cavity before speaking again.

Ven jerked up from his sleep, blinking really fast and wiping his mouth full of drool.

"Jesus, man. You scared the shit out of me." Ven seemed relieved to see me awake.

"She really must not like you. She sorta knocked you off your rockers with that ball. Seriously, why does the school insist on using that for sports?" Ven ranted about the bouncy pink rubber balls that were used to play dodgeball.

"Who?" I looked stupid just by asking.

"What do you mean by "who"? Meryl Grace?" Ven raised a brow.

Meryl Grace, the gorgeous new girl. That's her name, according to him. I seemed too stupid to realize. Ven seemed to know everyone right away. Maybe he was just friendly like that. I should've expected it, though.

"Meryl who?" I was beyond confused.

"That's her name. She was the one who knocked you out." Ven confirmed my stupidity.

It took me a while to even understand what he was saying. I finally realized it.

Meryl Grace. It was her.

In a way, I felt a tinge of annoyance. What was up with her? First, she was trying so hard to get away from me, and now she's trying to quite literally kill me with dodgeballs.

I didn't understand what was up with her, but I didn't want to assume anything right away because of some coincidental mishaps. Perhaps letting it go for now would be better.

I stand up from my bed, watching my knees tremble from the sudden movement. Ven stood up with me, and held my back as we moved out of the office.

It was getting dark outside, typical for Canadian weather during Autumn and Winter. Of course, it was raining like crazy outside. Pouring.

I shivered once we made it to the entrance of the school. If the cold was this bad during October, I couldn't imagine how bad it would get during December. The howling wind blew through the doors and made both of us shudder. I could feel a bit of moisture from it too.

Instantly, we both grabbed our windbreakers and umbrellas from the umbrella holder. With one last check for the contents in my back, he and I headed out into the rain.

"Mom's not coming back until 12 in the morning." I mumbled.

"Want me to come over?" Ven asked.

I sort of nodded. At that moment, I didn't want to be alone like I usually did.

The only thing plaguing my mind was Meryl. Was that on purpose, or was it just a stupid twist of fate?

I couldn't stop thinking about it for the rest of the night. Even during dinner, I was unusually silent. Ven seemed weirded out.

Perhaps I'd find out later.

END OF CHAPTER 3.

NOTE: this chapter is a little short, im so sorry😭 next one will be a bit longer (i hope..)