CHAPTER 10

I sat in my bedroom with a bandaid on my neck, thinking about the strange encounter I had just had with Meryl. I couldn't shake this feeling in my stomach whenever I thought of her, this odd mixture of excitement and anxiety.

My cheeks often started to heat up as I relived her intense red eyes in my mind. It was all so confusing. What was she and why did she seem so interested in me? These questions constantly ran through my mind but I still had no answers. I just had to wait for her to explain everything.

I was about to search something on Google the other night but forgot to. I grabbed my laptop and opened it back to Google, ready to search for the truth about Meryl. I typed in a few words and hit enter, hoping to find some clues about what she was. My breath caught in my throat as I saw the results. I mumbled to myself as I read the headline.

"Cold blooded.. and powerful?" I whispered to myself, feeling my blood run cold. I searched up keywords like "cold pale skin" and "immense strength" and my heart felt like it stopped. I read about how these were all characteristics of undead creatures from folk tales. Eyes changing colour, the ungodly speed, terrifying strength, and much more.

Vampires.

I didn't want to believe it, but I had no other options. That was what Meryl was. No doubt. This type of stuff just shouldn't exist, these are fairy tales, and yet I'm so captivated by the thought of their existence. Was this a dream? A stupid twist of fate? What was this?

I closed my laptop and sat there in deep thinking, trying to come to terms with everything I had just read. It all made sense now. Meryl was a vampire, that was the only explanation.

Her inhuman strength and agility, the strange feeling I got every time she looked at me, her cold red eyes, and her pale skin... everything pointed to her being a vampire. But what did she want with me? She always acted so calm and controlled despite all the chaos around her. I still didn't know the whole truth yet, but I was getting closer.

The next day, I was walking through the school halls, my mind still reeling from the shocking revelation of the night before. I couldn't believe what I had learned. Meryl was a real-life vampire. I felt like I was in some sort of weird dream, a nightmare I still couldn't seem to wake up from. I looked around and saw her across the hall, her eyes meeting mine for just a moment before she looked away.

She knew I knew and I felt the blood rushing to my cheeks again. Her eyes weren't red now, but returned back to the normal green hue that she usually had.

They were filled with mystery, and I knew she was hiding her big secret from me. I walked past her but felt her gaze on me the entire time. Even though she was beautiful, I had to admit that there was something about the look in her eyes that I found a little bit scary, especially since I didn't know her true motives for wanting to be near me.

Could she read my thoughts? I wanted to find out more. I had no class with Meryl at the moment, and I felt a strange fear wash over me. I decided to head to Math.

I was unable to focus on my work in math class, my mind wandering off to all the questions I had about Meryl. I had to find her and get some answers.