9 - Tragedy That Follows

Leon

What feels like an eternity of dreadful silence turns into guilt when I see the look on Tera's face. Finally, she asks, "What did you just say..?" Her voice was full of hurt, but I don't take back what I said because I meant it. I am in love with Vanessa.

"I'm in love with Vanessa." I say.

She stares at me, eyes wide and full of tears. I look down. She lets out a breath of exasperation and she steps back. "Fuck you." Her voice is high-pitched and wobbly. I look up. She turns and rushes out the back door, into the cold night.

"Tera!" Mei shouts, going after her.

I sigh as I turn towards Vanessa. "That didn't go well." I say.

She smiles reassuringly. "I'm sure things will be okay." I nod and pull her into my arms.

Cassidy

I stare at Leon and Vanessa, but all I see is Tera running out of the lodge and Mei running after her over and over again in my head. It turns into Alicia running out of the room and Daniella going after her. It's the same. Tera in distraught, feeling betrayed and Mei concerned for her.. just like that night. I look over at Josh, wondering if he felt the same way, but he was gone and now I'm wondering where he disappeared to.

Tera

I disappear further into the night, the cold wind stinging my face as tears stream from my eyes. I couldn't believe them. I couldn't believe him. I know we broke up, but it feels like he's doing anything he can to hurt me. It keeps repeating in my head, his voice saying that he's in love with her. What a load of shit. I just need some air. "Tera!" I hear Mei call out, but I just keep walking. I keep walking until I reach a rest stop. I sit down at the picnic table and bring my hands to cover my face. "Tera!" I hear the sound of crunching snow grow closer. "Ter-" She sighs. "Tera..." She sits next to me. "Are you okay?" She asks.

I stand. "Like you care." I say and I turn to walk away.

She stands and grabs my arm. "I do care. I'm your best friend and I-"

I turn. "No, you're not!" I yell. "You are not my friend, not after what you did. You are dead to me." She stares at me. I turn away again. "Go back, Mei."

"Tera, I-"

I hear some footsteps then a branch break. "Did you hear that?" I ask, looking around.

"No?"

"Tera! Mei!"

I hear what sounds like Cassidy shout from afar. We're not far from the lodge, so I assume the footsteps were from her and I sigh in relief and turn towards Mei. My eyes widen and I step back in shock when I see a masked person behind Mei. "Mei.."

"What is it?"

"Behind you.." I say, my voice shaky and quiet as I step back. She turns and gasps and steps back quickly. We step back as they step closer. They pull out a machete. I grab Mei's arm. "Mei.. Mei, run.." I say. "RUN!" She runs past the person and they swing at her but miss because I shove them and I run with Mei further away from the lodge.

Cassidy

I sigh as I shut the door. "I can't find them."