New York, New York

Börja om från början

Addison Miller was put on this Earth with the sole purpose of pranking him. Well, that and to look cute. Oh, and to make-out with loads of hot boys but minor details.

Covering my mouth to stifle my giggles, I snatched a rag out of the bin that he so carelessly left unattended on the chair beside him. So really, he had it coming. Winding it up, my chuckles erupted into a full-blown laugh as the wet fabric cracked against his rear with a satisfying whoosh.

"Yow!" He leapt up in the air, knocking into the plastic container and sending it crashing onto the floor with a clatter. He whirled around to face me, a frown marring his full lips. "Addison! What the hell?" He barked, crossing his arms and glaring at me.

"What?" I asked coyly. "Did you mistake me for one of the little old ladies that come here just to fawn all over you?" I grabbed the skin on his face with my forefingers. "I bet they just love pinching your cheeks."

"Which ones?" He muttered.

Horrified, I stared at him with my mouth agape. "No way. They actually do that?" I couldn't suppress the giggle that bubbled out from my throat.

Rolling his eyes, he crouched down to pick up the dirty utensils and soiled napkins I had caused him to spill everywhere. "Don't act so shocked, Addie," he retorted, raising his steely grey-blue gaze to mine. "Give it another thirty years and you will be one of them too."

I gasped, pretending to be offended but the truth was, Matt had me pegged. "Why wait until tomorrow what I could start today?" Hopping onto a wobbly table, I bent over and smacked his behind as he stood up.

He wagged a finger at me but couldn't conceal the grin that crossed his chiseled features. "Not cool. You would be stomping out of here on your spikes if I dared try that with you."

I held out one endless leg as I studied my glittering sandal with the four-inch heels. They aren't that long. "What's wrong with my shoes?"

He leaned in to whisper into my ear and his breath tickled my skin. "Where do I begin? I thought bedazzlers were a trend of the past." As he moved away, he smirked, and I caught sight of the dimple that indented his left cheek.

I stuck my tongue out at him. "You're lucky you're my best friend's boyfriend or I would take you into the back room right now-"

"I bet you would," he interjected, tossing a soggy towel into the bin and carrying it over to a garbage can before removing the trash. 'You've been dying to sink your teeth into me for ages."

I slid off the table and marched over to him, jabbing him in the ribcage. "Keep dreaming, Grim Reaper. I've taken an oath to social distance my mouth away from yours. But with all that black you favor wearing, I suspect you shall have no problem attracting another Vampire."

I tapped my chin. "Now, what I was trying to say before you so rudely interrupted me but what's new, is that I would take you into the backroom, toss you into the fryer and do away with you for good. No one would ever be the wiser."

Matt's eyebrows shot up as he wiped his hands on his tight t-shirt that highlighted every toned muscle in his upper half. "I see you woke up and chose Devil mode today." Tsking, he shook his head. "I was under the impression you loved me, Addie. I'm wounded."

Tossing my long and glossy raven waves over one shoulder, I plopped into a chair and propped my feet onto a vinyl booth that he had just sprayed down. "I'm just as fond of you as I am my other dogs."

He gave a pointed look at my legs sprawled across the cushion before nudging them off. "Addie, must you always cause a tornado of destruction wherever you go? I just finished cleaning that and now I'm going to have to do it all over again."

Shrugging, I studied my neon pink fingernails. "Why don't you just leave it? It's past closing anyway."

He grabbed the bin loaded with dirty dishes and food encrusted silverware, resting it against his hip as he made his way towards the kitchen. He stopped briefly to yank my chair away from the booth, the sudden movement nearly causing me to topple out of my seat. "Because, if I ever have any hope of being promoted to waiter then I need to make sure I do a damn flawless job in the position I'm already in."

Springing up, I followed him as he pushed his way through the double doors that led into the back room. He dropped his load onto the counter and sighed before attacking the mountain of dishes piled high in the sudsy water in front of him.

Leaning against the sink, I watched him drag a worn sponge across a greasy plate. "You're in college, Matt. You shouldn't be working so hard. You should be out partying."

He wiped his brow with the back of his hand, scoffing. "First off, you know there's nothing I despise more than drinking piss warm beer and forcing small talk with people I don't even want to pretend to like. And secondly, you're aware that if I don't make any money then I don't get to go to school. My dad can barely afford the mortgage as it is."

I raised my gaze to the ceiling fan lazily spinning its blades around in circles. The small amount of air it produced was nowhere near enough to combat the stifling kitchen that heated to an unbearable temperature after hours of use from the brick oven. "But it's Friday night and I'm bored."

He curled his lip in disgust at me as if I had just confessed that pineapple on pizza was my guilty pleasure. "You didn't have to come here, you know," he answered, a bit to his voice.

"True, but I thought you wouldn't want to be alone tonight." I moved in next to him, grabbing a soapy cup and rinsing it under the flow of the running water.

Narrowing his eyes, he glanced over at me. "Why? Because it's my first evening without Vanessa present? I'm not going to break down into hysterics and throw myself off a bridge. Sure, I already miss her like hell, but I'm used to people leaving me."

"She's going to come back," I said lowering my voice, trying to convince myself as much I was him. Matt nodded and I knew that he was thinking of his mom who got into an accident when he was five years old and hadn't returned.

Placing the glass into the drying rack, I closed my eyes. So maybe, I'm the one that doesn't want to be by myself right now. As much as my pride didn't want me to admit the truth, life felt emptier without my best friend there to gossip and trade secrets with. I wiped at the tears that suddenly blurred my vision.

"Addison?" Matt's soothing voice pulled me out of my reverie. "Are you alright?"

I quickly scrubbed my cheeks, grabbing another dish to wash from the sink. "Yea, I'm fine. Shut up."

He clasped my shoulder, concern etched onto his face. "Hey, I know it's tough not having her here with us, but we still have each other." He grinned, the dimple on his cheek deepening. "And you know I've got no hope of getting out of this town anytime soon."

I laughed. "You mean it? You're not going to run off to NYC the first chance you get and let Manhattan whisper sweet nothings into your ear?"

Running his fingers through his dark hair, he grimaced. "Hell no. Even if the girl I'm in love with is there, that filthy city is no match for wide open spaces and the stars in the sky. I'm afraid you're stuck with me, Miller."

Bubbles of happiness flitted around in my belly at his words. Matt and my Vanessa were my two best friends and there was no way I would be able to handle losing both of them to the lure of New York. But he doesn't need to know that.

With a one-sided grin, I picked up a wet rag and made my way to the dining room to wipe down the booth that I had dirtied. Palm pressed to the double doors; I slid a glance at him over my shoulder. "I suppose the idea of being forced to spend time with just you isn't completely horrible. I would say it has a one percent chance of enjoyability."

As the doors swung closed behind me, I heard the muffled sounds of his reply. "You love me though."