Chapter 20

Lisa

I hate having to bite my tongue but I can't tell her the truth. I can't let her know that I had Bambam run that article so that Kai would come out of his hiding place. Dusty is still trying to find the slippery motherfucker. Using Jennie as bait seemed like the quickest way to draw him out.

I've been unable to work all day. Not without Jennie nearby. Instead, I've sat in my car across the street from her building watching for creepy assholes that might be casing the place. When it's well past midnight, I climb out of my car and stretch my legs. I haven't eaten or moved in hours.

Once I'm on her floor and my forehead is pressed against her door, I listen. The apartment is quiet. She's probably sleeping but I need to talk to her.

Me: I'm sorry.

She responds immediately which makes my heart rate quicken.

Jennie: Me too.

Me: Can I see you?

Jennie: I'm a mess.

Me: What if I told you I was waiting at your front door?

Jennie: I've been watching you from the window all day. I'll let you in.

I straighten my body and slide my phone into my pocket. A few minutes later, I hear the bolt locks disengaging. The moment she opens the door, I can't wait any longer. I tug her into my arms where she belongs and kiss the top of her head.

"I'm sorry."

She sniffles but her grip on me is tight. "I'm sorry too."

I pull away to lock the doors before scooping her slight frame into my arms. She rests her head against my shoulder as I carry her through the dark apartment to her bedroom. I kick off my shoes and set her down on the bed.

The lamp beside her bed casts shadows on her face, highlighting the dark circles under her eyes. Her face is puffy and red from crying. I reach forward and swipe a shiny brown strand of hair away from her face. Kneeling in front of her, I hug her waist and rest my cheek against her thigh. Her fingers stroke my hair. Touching her soothes my heart. I hope I fix her the way she fixes me.

"I don't know what to do," she murmurs, her voice wobbly. "He's going to come for me."

I kiss the inside of her thigh. "I'm going to keep you safe, like I promised."

When I lift up to look at her, tears race down her pretty swollen cheeks. I don't like seeing her cry. I want to put smiles on her face. And once that fucker is dead, she'll never have to fear for her life again.

I sit up on my knees and tug at her T-shirt. She lifts her arms, allowing me to shed her of the garment.

"Lie back, baby," I instruct as I begin peeling off my clothes.

She scoots back and then shimmies out of her panties. I shed the rest of my clothes before killing the light. Once darkness shrouds us, I claim my woman. The moment our bare skin touches, the usual connection we share seems to flare to life with a jolt. Our mouths meet for a desperate kiss. She wraps her smooth legs around me, and in the next instant, I'm buried deep inside her. Instead of moving, I simply cradle her cheek with one hand and kiss her until she's breathless.

I trail kisses along her cheek to her ear where I whisper to her all the things I need for her to hear.

I'm obsessed with you.

I can't live without you.

I'd die without you.

My words turn her on because she wiggles and moans and begs for more. Slowly, I rock against her. Her body is tight and accepting. Warm. Mine. I continue murmuring the words she clearly needs to hear too.