Week 1 of Scar's Reign

Uru's POV

Uru's POV

So the first week of dad's reign is different. With the hyenas around all the time. The lionesses are made to hunt for them and the pride. Which means hunting nearly every day. As a hyenas belly is never full. Where's as before we'd go a couple days without hunting. Also five more lionesses and another cub my age has joined the pride.

Zira and her three girls do not follow our hunting laws. They kill whatever they want and even hunt at the water hole. Which is supposed to be a safe place for all the animals. Sarabi has scolded them, but they do not listen. Shani though does fully our hunting laws, turns out she is a friend of Estel and Nani. Her cub Tama, is mine and Nala's age. She and Nala play a lot under the watchful eye of at least three lionesses.

Dad hardly lets me out of his sight. Unless he is on patrol. Then he usually leaves me with Sarabi or Zira. Today I am with Sarabi as Zira is hunting with her girls. So Sarabi is letting me be with the other two cubs. We play while Sarabi and her sisters watch over us. Meanwhile Sarafina, Shani, Estel and Nani are at the den. I've noticed Sarafina has been spending a lot of time with my dad, but I don't know why. They never used to be close.

"Play with us Uru!" Tama cheers from the shallows. Where she and Nala had been playing tag. I'm laying beside Sarabi watching them.

"Gone on" Sarabi nudging me gently.

"But..." I try to say.

"Go have fun" Dwala encourages me.

"You're only a cub once" Diku adds.

"Have fun" Naanda adds as I get up. I head over to Nala and Tama. Nala wasn't watching so I crouch low stalking silently. Tama smirks and keeps Nala distracted. I lunge and tackle Nala into the water and she squeals surprised. Tama and I laugh.

"I'll get you for that!" Nala shouts and goes to tackle me. But I dodge.

"You gotta catch me first!" I tell her laughing. She turns and runs towards me. I run with Tama. Who is also laughing. We continue to play tag. Nala caught Tama, who caught me and now I am it. Trying to tag one of them. I tag Nala and she turns to me. I crouch low with a playful growl.

She growls back and we start to play fight. Tama soon joins in. Nala and I tag team. Pinning her laughing. "Uru!" a firm voice calls and I freeze. I get off Tama and look at my dad. "What are you doing?" he demands.

"We were just..." I trial off. I couldn't say fun. Sarabi comes over.

"They were practicing their fighting skills and team work Scar" she states.

"Really?" he asks.

"Yes, we even practiced stalking" I tell him.

"Very well, I expect you clean by the time you return to the den" he states. I nod my head. "Also Sarabi, I want all three cubs ready to help hunt by adolescence. I trust you and the others can ensure that" he says.

"We don't usually start their training this early" Sarabi states.

"I can always ask Zira to do it" he says with smirk.

"No, we can do it" she assures him.

"Good, I shall be mentoring their progress" he states. "See you back at the den" he says and left.

"That was close" Nala says.

"Your dad is such a buzz kill" Tama tells me.

"He just expects a lot" I state.

"Time for baths" Sarabi tells us. "Then we will return to the den, your training begins tomorrow" she states. We all nod and she baths me. While Diku did Nala and Naanda did Tama. We then all return to the den. Where Sarabi tells Sarafina and Shani about training tomorrow.

I head over to my dad. "Can we talk?" I ask him. He nods and heads outside. I follow him to the top of pride rock. "Dad, what happened to Simba?" I ask.

"He was killed in the stampede" he states.

"But, that doesn't make senses. I hea..." I stop talking.

"Are you calling me a lair Uru?" he asks me.

"Of course not dad" I state. "But how could of you not been there, you had taken Simba out for the day. I don't understand how he and Mufasa could of died" I tell him.

"Do not question me Uru" he orders. "Mufasa and Simba are dead, I am now king. I expect your loyalty to me" he states. "Never question me again" he adds.

"Yes father" I say and he left. I look out at the horizon as the sun begins to set. Feeling conflicted. Should I tell the others about what I saw at the gorge? Would they believe me? How would telling them help? A pride needs a king, if they drove dad away we'd be weaker. Besides he has the hyenas on his side and those four other lionesses. Could we win a fight? Tama, Nala and I would only get in the way, we could die if a fight broke out. But if I wait until we grow up, we could join the fight and our chances of winning will be higher. I just pray dad doesn't do anything else, that can't be fixed.

Zira's POV

"That Sarafina, has been cozening up to your mate" Uma states.

"Think she likes him?" Kwami asks.

"She is Sarabi's best friend and was in a good position to become queen if something happened to Sarabi" Daphne states.

"She has proven she can have a strong cub" Kwami adds.

"I will be queen!" Zira snaps. "Not Sarabi, not Sarafina. Me" she snarls. "I will give Scar his heir and raise it in his image" she states.

"You've barely spent anytime with him since we joined the pride" Uma tells her.

"Why do you think I've offered to babysit the orphaned brat he took in. If I can win her over, getting him to mate with me will be easy" Zira says smugly. They return to the den and she smirks when she sees Uru alone. She heads over to her. "Hello Uru" she says in a fact sweet voice.

"Hi Zira" Uru says stiffly.

"How about we go exploring tomorrow? Just the two of us?" Zira asks.

"No can do Zira" Uru tells her. "The other cubs and I are starting our training with the other lionesses. Maybe another time" she states and enters the den. As Zira scowls. Uru goes and lays beside Scar. She soon falls asleep. Zira goes over to her girls and grumbles as she lays down.

A/N

Picture above of Shani and Tama. Picture in chapter of Uma, Daphne, Kwami and Zira.