THIRTY FOUR

Will Solace never thought he would see her again, that much the Maddox girl was sure of when she saw the look on his face in Cabin Seven. He had been readying himself to take on the title of Apollo Cabin Counselor, a name that has been passed down through the ranks of campers oh-so quickly. In his heart, Will knew that Klein wouldn't leave them, despite everything, no matter what happened. It was his mind that troubled him, plaguing him with worry that he would be the next counselor on a long list. Ultimately the next to die - a trait that seemed to be passed down along through every counselor.

He worried for Klein Maddox, he really did, because she was the big sister he had always looked up to. She was the first person to welcome him to Cabin Seven when he was claimed by Apollo. Still so young herself, hair pulled into two short pigtails, one hand extended in welcome as she told him that he could take the bunk nearest her and Kieran if he wanted. So while all of the responsibilities and the cabin counselor curse did worry the Solace boy, what worried him more was that the Maddox girl might never return to Camp Half-Blood.

Watching her appear out of thin air and oh-so-classily fall right off the dining table finally let Will let out the breath he'd been holding since she left.

The two of them laid out in the grass behind their cabin, looking up at the soon to be star freckled sky above them. It was one of those rare times when camp was actually quiet, the only sounds being the rustling tree branches and the occasional squawk of the patrol harpies. After making Will give her the rundown on how the cabin had been over the last couple days, Klein filled him in on all of the small details of the quest that the rest of the campers didn't need to know the full extent of: Festus landing in porta potty sludge, the run in with Midas (Will's heart felt just a little heavier when Klein revealed that Kieran's how was now broken, her eyes growing glassy as she recounted the story), her renewed grudge against Annabeth Chase for telling Piper McLean of all people about Kieran, and how Jason Grace had held her hand.

She'd also filled him in on the whole resurrection situation, but being her brother, Will was primarily interested in two things: all the drama with Piper McLean, and the fact that Klein Maddox held a boy's hand.

"And you're telling me you still didn't hit her?" Will quirked an eyebrow, almost finding it in himself to laugh as the Maddox girl recounted every little quip from the daughter of Aphrodite, "Not even once?"

"You better be proud, Solace." Klein pulled the blanket tighter around her shoulders, shaking her head with a snort. "I thought about it. A lot."

"Oh, I'm definitely proud. Even more surprised. You're like a whole new person, I barely even recognize you."

"Oh ha ha, you're so funny." She shook her head at his teasing before letting out a sigh. "I guess I just kind of... I don't know, understand why she did it. Lie to us, I mean. She was just trying to protect her dad, her family. And as mad as I was - am - I'd do the same for any of you losers."

Will say there for a moment letting her words sink in. Ultimately he found himself smiling, turning his head to look at the older girl. "You really need to stop calling us losers."

"I will not."

She merely smirked when he playfully shoved her shoulder.

"So... can I ask the fun questions now that we're done with the intense stuff?" Will questioned, to which Klein nodded before she offered a dismayed sigh.

"No, I did not see any dinosaurs when I died."

Will's first though - I knew Nico was a liar. "Okay. Disappointing, but also not what I was gonna ask."

"It was definitely what you were gonna ask."

Will rolled his eyes, "Okay, it might have been on the list, but-"