TWENTY FIVE

The silver bow in her hands was light and unfamiliar, thinner than what Klein Maddox had grown used to over years of practice. Apollo and Artemis did always have different tastes, she supposed. Phoebe had handed her one of the extras that had been hung up in the tent when Klein admitted to being weaponless upon the group planning to continue on with their quest.

Coach Hedge led the charge up the mountainside, "Come on, Valdez! Pick up the pace! Let's chant: I got a girl in Kalamazoo-"

"Let's not." Thalia was quick to shut the satyr down.

Neither Jason or Klein had spoken again of what happened in the cave - her breakdown nor his - and the girl could admit that there was a slight awkwardness that clung to the air. Maybe it was because neither really knew what to do with any of their feelings, or maybe it was because Thalia was eyeing Klein like she'd just shot the President. Klein tried to ignore it (and she'd gotten good at ignoring most things) and Jason did too, but it was getting harder to pretend like the little moments didn't keep happening when they'd both already admitted to growing on one other.

Maybe they were just going insane and Midas had turned them to gold and this was all some wonky fever dream.

The group watched the rest of the way in silence, no one quite sure what to talk about: Jason's newfound sister, the giants, Piper's dad, or the really, really big summit that climbed into the clouds in front of them.

"That," Leo choked out, "Is a really large rock."

Pikes Peak was, as Leo said, a really large rock, but that wasn't even the real show. Above a quarter mile in the air was a massive free floating island of glowing purple stone with brass walls, the sides riddled with caves like some sort of swiss cheese.

The only thing that connected Pikes Peak to the floating fortress was an alarmingly narrow bridge that glistened in the moonlight. At first Klein thought it to be ice, but then she noticed that it didn't even seem to be solid.

"We're not seriously crossing that." Leo gaped.

"I'm gonna have to agree with Valdez." Klein shook her head, "Absolutely no way is that happening."

"I'm not a big fan of heights, I'll admit. But if you want to get to Aeolus' fortress, this is the only way." Thalia said.

"Is the fortress always hanging there?" Piper asked, "How can people not noticing it stirring on top of the peak?"

"The Mist." Thalia said, "Still, mortals do notice it indirectly. Some days, Pikes Peak looks purple. People say it's a trick of the light, but it's actually eh color of Aeolus's palace reflecting off the mountain face."

"It's enormous." Jason shook his head.

Thalia smirked, "You should see Olympus, little brother."

"You're serious? You've been there?"

Thalia grimaced like it wasn't really a good memory.

It wasn't.

"We should go across in two different groups. The bridge is fragile."

"That's reassuring." Leo nodded, "Jason, can't you just fly us up there?"

Thalia laughed until she realized she was the only one, and then she looked at her brother with shock, "Wait... Jason, you can fly?"

"Well, sort of. More like I can control the winds. But the winds up here are so strong, I'm not sure if want to try." Jason made a face before turning to the girl, "Thalia... you mean, you can't fly?"

It was one of those rare moments when Thalia Grace actually looked terrified, "Truthfully, I've never tried it. Might be better if we stuck to the bridge."