The Angels Cove Chronicles (Chapters 54-59)

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Florence you didn't" Kiera looked at her wife perplexed full of disappointment that she was capable of committing such a horrific act. Florence could feel her whole body shaking "I did it for you. For our family". Upon hearing this Sarah couldn't hold back her frustration "By destroying ours!? We had to leave the pack because of you!". "Sarah" Elias sternly called her name to stop her from exploding with anger. "Florence only did what the Blood's told her to do. She wouldn't have known about Link, none of us did" Nick remarked whilst staring directly at Elias, with him gathering this was a subtle dig at him for not telling Nick about Link. But Elias wasn't going play to his brothers hand of guilt tactics retaining his firm stance as he replied "You're not allowed to comment Nicholas, if you had just done as I asked none of this would have happened. I asked YOU to look after them, not Florence, you. You know they despise her and yet you left them alone with her" Elias began with Nick trying to interrupt, "Elias I..." as Elias snapped back, "I'm not finished. You gave me your word that you would look after them and you didn't even have the common decency to do that right. Yet, I know if our roles were reversed you would have expected me to protect Hope with my life, why are my children any different?". The room fell deathly silent, knowing that Elias was right. At the corner of his eye Elias saw Nathan with a smug smile on his face, Elias then turned to Nathan telling him, "I don't know why your smiling son, I haven't even started with you yet". Nathan looked gulped looking before looking down guiltily at the floor, knowing what was to come.

Elias turned to Nathan wanting answers for his son's reckless behaviour "Nathan, I want you to be honest with me. Why did you trap your aunt and leave the house without notifying anyone?". Glaring over at Florence before answering Nathan scoffed standing his ground "He left us here with the witch. What was I supposed to do, let her kill us?". Elias sighed knowing that Nathans instinct to protect his family stemmed from Elias's own soul "No son. The moment he left you with her you should have called me. That's what your phone is for". An awkward silence echoed as the tension between the pair began to build. The tension continuing to grow with Nathan's admission "I didn't think" with Elias not buying into his son's excuses "I find that hard to believe". This comment from his father leaving Nathan stunned "What?". "You're a smart boy Nathan, so act the part. We both know you knew exactly what you were doing, so why did you do it? Why did you runaway?". Nathan didn't answer choosing to leave the room instead. He didn't want to talk about it especially in front of the witch. He got to the bottom of stairs before he felt a tight grip on his wrist stopping him from going any further.

"Don't ignore me Nathan, why did you do it?". Nathan pulled his wrist free from his father's grasp, overtaken by anger he lost all inhibition as his true feelings began to pour from his mouth "Why? I hate it here It's like a prison, I would know I've spent half my life in one! At least in the Pits we were stuck with people I actually liked. But here I can't trust anyone! That monster can deny it all she wants but she wants us dead! I just want to keep my family safe and I can't do that surrounded by enemies! You used to understand that, but since we've moved back here you've overlooked everything they've done to us! Like none of it matters, cause your back with your precious family, pretending that we don't exist!" Elias tried to get a word in seeing Nathans eyes changing to pure white "Son-" with Nathan ruthlessly cutting him off shouting "you're not even my real dad!". Losing all inhibition Elias slapped Nathan hard across the face the impact causing Nathan to fall backwards onto the staircase. The shock of his father hitting him making Nathan visibly shake as he grasped the part of his face where he had been hit. In the heat of the moment Elias told him, "Get upstairs before I do something we both regret". Although Nathan didn't reply the death stare he gave Elias spoke volumes, the look of betrayal on Nathan's face breaking Elias's heart. Doing as his father commanded Nathan disappeared into his room, leaving behind a guilt-ridden Elias. Hearing the door slam behind Nathan, Elias assaulted the banister with his fist, knowing that he had gone too far in disciplining Nathan. The look on his sons face after he hit him plaguing his mind, riddling him with guilt as he mumbled under his breath "what have I done?".