Chapter 1 - LAST CHANCE

Tatiana Clifford

"Smile a little, darling." My mother whispered.

As much as I love tennis, I hate watching the whole tournament. My family wanted to attend because my father is a big tennis fan.

Not me, though.

I was trying my best not to yawn. That's why I've been clenching my jaw, holding it.

"You need to pretend that you enjoy it," Gloria leaned to me, pretending to take my water bottle.

"It's boring. I don't understand why people love seeing balls going around." After hearing the word 'balls' coming out of my mouth, my parents turned to me like I just humiliated them in front of the whole world.

Which... I would humiliate them tomorrow, by the way.

"Behave, Tatiana." My father warned me.

"Will it be rude if I excuse myself to go to the toilet?" I asked Gloria, who was sitting beside me. "Not a good idea, hold it." With that, I turned my attention to the green bouncing ball.

After the tournament, we all got up and walked out of the stadium. My parents congratulated the winner as we stood behind them, smiling at everyone.

I hate living like this. The thought of me living like this forever scares me. Since I was born, my family knew I would be 'The Rebel' kid. My grandmother was ecstatic because it reminded her of herself when she was young.

Which was a nightmare for my whole family.

My grandfather knew I would cause trouble one day, and he was not wrong because I hated living in a box, especially when I had to be someone they expected me to be. The royal family has so many rules that I have had to follow ever since I learned how to breathe.

I had to learn how to be proper like a robot, how to talk like I have a secret, how to walk like I have constipation, how to eat like a snail, how to sit like I'm holding my fart, and how to smile like you have something stuck between your teeth.

The list goes on, and it's so dull that I will yawn every two seconds.

The only activity that I enjoy as a princess is charity.

I love doing charity with all my heart. The reason why I love it is that I get to help people and see their smiles. That's why I wanted to be a doctor, but my whole family disagreed with my dream of being a doctor.

Not because they don't want me to be but because I already have life planned. They don't want me to spend years in medical school, which is a weird reason. Usually, parents want their children to be a doctor, a lawyer, or a judge, but not mine.

They want me to be a pianist or a ballerina. I'm not a fan of twirling like a donut on stage or reading ugly notes.

"You need to stop behaving like a child, Tati." My brother, Gabriel, said to me once we got into the car, returning to the palace.

I have two older siblings, and they're twins. They are both the perfect children for my parents. They love being a part of the royal family, and they nail every rule and lesson on how to be the best prince and princess.

"Tennis is boring. I've tried my best not to yawn every second, and that's me behaving like an adult, Gabi." I hissed, and he shook his head before turning to Gloria.

After the car stopped, I got off first without waiting for the door to be opened. I made my way to my room and took out my phone to check a message from Clyde.

He will be the one who helps me to escape the palace.

Clyde: I have everything ready for you. Have you received the package?
Clyde: There's an earpiece, a tracker, and a phone.

After seeing his message, I opened the package that I got yesterday. From the outside, it looked like a makeup and hair kit, but after opening everything, it was everything I needed to escape.

Clyde Nielsen was my friend. I met him in Copenhagen when I was six, and he's thirteen. I helped him get away with stealing a knife from the kitchen. He almost got caught by the staff when I told them that I asked him to cut me watermelons.

Clyde got away with it, and I told him that he owed me or else he would be punished by his father. He told me he would grant me one wish for it, and I decided to use it 15 years later.

Tatiana: Got it, I'm ready.
Clyde: The person who will pick you up is Kayden Grant.
Clyde: You can trust him. He's my friend.
Tatiana: Why don't you pick me up? I would rather be with someone whom I know.
Clyde: I'm busy.
Tatiana: Fine.
Tatiana: Thank you, Clyde.

He left me on read, which was so annoying of him. At least I know him enough to trust that he will help me fully. I've prepared a lot of things in advance, hoping that I can guarantee my stay in Seattle.

I hope this gives my family a clear message that I want to abdicate my title as soon as possible.

"Tatiana, you can do this," I said to myself as I packed all the documents that I needed.

I saved enough money for myself to go to Harvard Medical School. I also have many shares in some companies that will keep me going for at least a decade. I also grabbed one last thing from my drawer, which was a beautiful rare pink diamond.

It's a 24-carat pink diamond that is worth around 50 million euros.

Don't even ask me where I got it because it's a complicated one. This would be my last straw if I didn't have any money with me. I could sell it for 60 million dollars and go to Medical School peacefully.

Let's hope everything goes according to plan tomorrow because this will be my only chance to escape.