what's the meaning of this? ~8

Start from the beginning

"I would much prefer Akutagawa if you please."

"Yes sir!" The ginger mocked before taking another sip of his wine.

"Please don't patronize me..." Akutagawa uttered, turning back to his desk to organize loose papers.

"Plus, the more time you spend 'comforting' me, the more time we both lose in finding Higuchi." Akutagawa exclaimed sternly, stacking the papers he had gathered and subsequently tapping the bottom of the stack on the table to line them up.

He himself was not aware of how much he cared for the blonde woman, given how he ignored her most of the time.

"Akutagawa, Higuchi's a capable woman. Stubborn too. She can hold out." Chuuya countered, his tone wobbly.

"It's hard to believe someone when they don't believe themselves." Akutagawa expressed in his usual monotone voice, and obvious comment on the gingers confidence in his own words. Chuuyas wobbly tone of voice was what gave it away.

Chuuya had to think about his answer, something to say about Akutagawas pessimistic point of view. However, his mind felt empty and unable to create a legitimate way to reassure Akutagawa without being shot down.

The pages within Akutagawas hand crinkled with the pressure of his grasp, the silence was deafening, sounding the alarm bells in his head telling him to either say something or make a run for it.

"Higuchi is a nuisance, and her one-sided crush on me can be extremely annoying, but she is a capable and respectable woman. It is true that she is highly skilled with her firearms," Akutagawa began, his expression changing from discomfort to helplessness as he paused. "She isn't an ability user like you and i. Against several criminals, she could easily take them all out with copper casings to spare. Though without her guns..." Akutagawa trailed off, he could see that Chuuya got the point, and was contemplating something with his brows furrowed.

"Dosen't she always carry a gun though?" Chuuya placed his fedora back onto his head as he watched Akutagawa stand to his feet.

Chuuya pushed the chair he had been sitting in back to its proper spot, following Akutagawa as he ambled past all the vacant desks.

"She very much could, i wouldn't know. I never really payed attention to that detail." Akutagawa answered when chuuya began to walk along side him.

"Well, if she had her gun with her at the time, she prolly would've been here. At work. Maybe she didn't feel threatened at the time? Plus, videos taken from the shops nearby would've picked up the sounds of gunfire..." the ginger rambled, his rough voice ricocheting off the dark walls and down the dim hall to be swallowed by the shadows.

"If this theory of yours was true," the ravenette started, being interrupted by a cough that seemed to be a perpetual thing that followed him subsequent to his time in the slums. "We may be dealing with someone, or perhaps even a group of people who have been trained in the art of manipulation and they could have been watching Higuchi for some time to have figured out where she would go and where to ambush her properly. "

"Who would want Higuchi though? And why?" The ginger sighed, rubbing his temples.

Akutagawa shrugged in return.

"I'll do some more digging around then, while i do that, you should go see Gin in the lounge. They asked me to come get you in the first place. Something about not eating?" Chuuya looked up at the ravenette with an eyebrow raised.

Akutagawa pursed his lips, looking away with a nod. He covered his mouth with his hand and cleared his throat before handing chuuya the stack of papers he had been holding.