Womens Rights

Three months later.

I sat at the desk of my rifle manufacturing company. I owned three of the companies in France and England, this is the main building. Or as I like to say, Headquarters.

"James, what meetings do I have today?" I asked, putting down my pen and looking at him.

"Mr. Akley in an hour, he works for a men's clothing store in France. He didn't specify what he wanted." He cleared his throat. "Jessie Eden in an hour and a half, and Thomas Shelby and Polly Gray at 4 in the afternoon." He told me. My eyebrows furrowed.

"Thomas Shelby?" I asked, he nodded. "What does he want?"

"He didn't say, Ms. Green." James told me. I nodded.

"Thank you." He nodded and went towards his own office.

Why would Thomas Shelby out of all people come here? I mean we basically control Britain. I own half of it and he owns the other half.

I was filling out papers for a fund for clothing for kids. It always occurred to me that I had a decent life back where my parents lived. I always had a roof over my head and foot on a plate in front of me. Half the kids here don't get that. They have to work for it.

Yes, my father may have been demeaning and rude and overall an abusive person, but so many more people have gone through things so much worse and nobody knew it. I just got lucky by getting out of the house as soon as I could. My sister is still there. She's going to be 16 this year.

I stood up and poured more whiskey into my cup, filling it two inches from the brim. I didn't down the whiskey like I used to, I just sipped it all the time.

I nearly jumped out of my seat when a man tapped on the glass of my door, waiting to come in. I waved him in and stood up, taking my glasses off.

"I'm guessing your Edward Akley," I said as I shook his hand.

"Yes ma'am." He replied.

I offered him a seat and he took it, looking at me. The folders were folded up in a stack, so he couldn't get any information if he wanted to.

"What brings you in today? I know you have to wait a while to talk to me personally, I apologize." I put on the fake polite act. It's what I did to everybody.

"Yes of course," he took out the papers and handed them to me. "I'd like to get a raise. There's more people working so I think it'd be alright." he said with hope. "I've tried to talk to the manager, but he never does anything. He said to talk to you." Edward said.

"The manager for the men's clothing store is a couple streets past W. Lane, correct?" I looked at his papers.

"Yes ma'am," he said.

"That's in Small Heath. Anybody who gets their suits there are the Shelby's, Brumly Boys and the Lee's. Is the manager there Karl Gretta-" i didn't even know the name.

"Changretta," He corrected me.

"Thank you." I sipped on whiskey. "Mr. Edwards, you can call yourself the manager of Green's Suit Attire.. If you wouldn't mind, put this on his desk and pack up his things. You have my permission." I handed him a folder and shook his hand. The look on his face was priceless. He was so happy.

"Thank you, Ms. Green." he took the folder and walked out of the room with a kick in his step. It's things like this that bring me joy. Seeing other people happy.

Jessie Eden was a feminist. She was over the top, women over men any day. She believed women and men were equal in everything. It was stupid. Why work as a woman when you can have the man's money?