chapter nine

CHAPTER NINE: FOUR DOORS

Athena sat in the chair at the front of the theatre, just a few feet away from the movie screen, and crossed her legs. She scanned her eyes over the text for a few moments before reading the words aloud, her voice much more formal and loud than the others'—a voice you would want to listen to.

     After a quick break to catch their breaths, the three Runners got to their feet and began rushing through the different paths of the Maze—twisting and turning and keeping their thoughts on what had just happened.

It didn't take long for them to make it back to the Glade, which surprised Layla because of how exhausted she was. Perhaps she was just lost in her thoughts again, but it didn't even matter because either way, she had made it back. That's all she cared about.

The three Runners carelessly stepped in a puddle as they made their way over to Gladers who were crowded around the Maze doors. "What the hell's going on out there?" Newt raised a brow at the trio, quickly following them as they pushed through the small crowd.

"The hell you done now, Thomas?" Gally seethed, walking in step next to Layla, much to her annoyance.

     Ares and Thalia glared at the screen. "Him again?" The daughter of Zeus muttered. Ares grumbled curses in agreement, narrowing his eyes at Gally on the screen.

     Layla glared at Gally. There were times where the boy had been kind to her—very, very few times, but it had happened. She had seen his respect for Thomas after they'd fought in the circle during the night of the bonfire, too. She knew Gally could be kind if he cared enough to do so, but he typically wasn't, and that frustrated Layla more than she cared to admit.

"Still hate him." Ares huffed.

"We found something," Thomas turned to face Newt, completely ignoring Gally's comment. "A new passage. We think it could be a way out."

Newt looked shocked at the news, his brows shooting up in surprise. "Really?"

"It's true." Minho confirmed, just as out of breath as Thomas and Layla were. "We opened a door, something Layla and I have never seen before. I think it must be where the Grievers go during the day."

"Wait!" Chuck ran forwards, trying to catch up after he heard what Minho said. "Whoa, whoa, whoa... wait, you're saying you found the Grievers' home? And you want us to go in?"

Thomas nodded, "their way in could be our way out, Chuck." He explained, as patient with the boy as usual.

"He actually is pretty smart." Clarisse shrugged, nodding in approval. She appreciated that he could handle himself in an argument if he wanted to, and put up a decent fight, but it was nice to see that he was using his brains too.

"Yesheis." Drew nodded slowly.

Damon and Stefan stared from a distance. "Is she in love with him?" The former asked.

"I don't think she's aware that she doesn't have a chance." Stefan hummed.

"Quiet, she'll hear you!" Demon shushed Stefan, his voice carrying across the room.

Athena paused in her reading, glancing up at the two boys. Multiple heads turned in their direction. Drew frowned, "who will hear you?"

"Nothing." The brothers said in sync.

Athena stared for a moment longer before beginning to read again.

     "Yeah," Gally said sarcastically, completely disagreeing with the idea. "Or there could be a dozen Grievers on the other side. The truth is, Thomas doesn't know what he's done, as usual."