Chapter 229: A Part of Me

As we made our way back into the room, I gently pulled my hand out of Jake's, turning the corner of Josh's bedside curtain where he flashed me a tired grin, his eyes instantly lighting up. I couldn't help but smile, going back over to the chair closest to him, having no doubt been left empty on purpose.

I sat down, pulling the chair in closer to his bed. He didn't hesitate to reach out for me, grabbing my hand, milking this as much as possible knowing that no one could say anything to a guy in a hospital bed. And I couldn't exactly say that I minded.

Jake stood back, quietly observing as the rest of us spent the evening talking, joking, reminiscing on the old days, anything to keep our minds off of what had happened.

"So now that you're all done with school, maybe we can actually focus on the band again." Sam said, playfully nudging Jake. He forced a subtle grin, I'm sure not wanting to think about that right now. But deep down, I did wonder when Jake was going to get back out there. It would be such a waste for him to let what happened keep him from what he was truly meant to do.

He was so talented, and the rest of the world deserved to see it too.

"Yeah, I guess we'll see what works with Jaime's schedule." Josh said, peeking over at me with an excited grin. "Production is going to start on her movie soon, and she promised me a job, so.. my focus is really on that right now."

I appreciated that despite the fact that this had always been his dream, now that it was happening for me, he could still manage to be so happy for me, and the most supportive out of anyone.

"Do we get to know what this movie is even going to be about?" Sam asked. I felt my face get hot, my heart starting to beat faster. I still hadn't talked about it, and it was something that was definitely going to have to be a more.. in-depth conversation. And preferably a private one.
"Not yet." I said, forcing a laugh. "But.. don't worry. Soon enough." Sam playfully rolled his eyes, eventually dropping the subject. I was thankful.

It wasn't long until another nurse finally came in, subtly peeking around the curtain, giving us a sympathetic grin.
"Hey, I'm so sorry to interrupt but.. visiting hours are going to be over in a few minutes. His designated visitor can stay, but.. we have to ask that everyone else head out soon." She said, as nicely as she could manage. I was happy that he had someone so sweet here to take care of him if it couldn't be me, despite how badly I wanted to.

Josh's face dropped as he looked over at me with hopeful eyes, practically begging me to stay. It broke my heart. I then felt Jake carefully slip his hand back into mine, motioning towards the door.
"We should get going." He said softly, leaning in close. I nodded, biting down on my lip, peeking back at Josh.

"Actually, I.. I was hoping that.. maybe Jaime could stay with me." Josh finally said, I'm sure trying to come up with a natural way to bring it up all night. I felt my body get hot as Jake tightened his grip. Everyone stayed quiet, their eyes bouncing from him back to me. The silence was excruciating. I peeked over at Sam, practically begging for him to save me.

"She's had a long day too, you know.. with the party, and everything. So.. I figured I would stay with you." He said, quickly shooting me a look in return. "Besides, we haven't had much time together since you've been home. You can tell me all about how school was and explain to me whatever the hell you're going to be doing on this movie." He laughed, playfully hitting Josh, to which he recoiled in a painful wince. It took everything in me not to go over to make sure he was okay, but I knew Jake's now tighter grip would never allow it, positive by now our knuckles were turning white.

Josh looked back to me, clearly disappointed, but didn't fight Sam on it.
"Okay. Yeah." He said softly, forcing a gentle smile. "Thanks."
"We'll be back bright and early tomorrow, okay?" I assured him. He nodded, his smile growing.
"Okay." He sighed, waiting for everyone to turn away before mouthing to me.
"I love you." My heart jumped, now feeling my cheeks burn.
"I love you." I mouthed back, following Jake as he said his goodbye's and lead us back out into the hallway.

"Didn't want her to stay, huh?" Danny joked, smirking over at Jake. Jake shot him a look, pulling me in closer, wrapping his arm around me.
"Like he said, Sam hadn't gotten to talk to him all night. They had some catching up to do." He said, the smile evident in his voice. Danny nodded, playfully rolling his eyes.
"I'm sure that's exactly what it is." Jake pushed him away, giggling to himself.
"Oh, shut up."

I could only wonder what the three of them talked about when I wasn't around, but I'd be naive to think that at some point they all didn't tell each other everything.

I stayed quiet, grabbing onto Jake's arm, leaning my head on his shoulder as we made our way through the hospital and out into the parking lot. Danny flashed us a smile and a wink before getting into his car and driving off. Jake hung back, walking me over to my car, lingering in the doorway as I sat down in the driver's seat.

"Thank you." He said softly, giving me a gentle smile. "For coming back with me." I nodded, biting down on my lip.
"I know how much you wanted to stay.." He added. "And.. I just.. thank you." I reached up for him, pulling him into a gentle kiss. I instantly felt his lips curl into a contagious smile.

"So.. are you gonna come over tonight?" I finally asked, feeling my cheeks burn. He nodded, his eyes lighting up.
"Only if you want me to." He said, gently caressing my cheek.
"I have something to show you." I said, the idea of it now making me that much more nervous. He bit down on his lip, his smile growing.
"Oh, well then I can't wait." He leaned into another long kiss before finally moving away, carefully shutting the door behind him.

I watched him as he made his way across the parking lot to his car, already feeling myself missing him. And that's how I knew that this time was different. Despite everything that had happened, I was always missing him and I didn't want to feel like that anymore; the sinking feeling I had when he was missing. It was like a part of me was missing.

And how badly I wanted to just feel whole again.

Jaime: <3333

I watched as he finally got to his car, pulling his phone out of his pocket and flashing me a toothy grin.

Jake: <3333 see you soon.

I waited until I finally saw him get in before starting my car and heading home. As eager as I was, I made sure to drive slow, knowing that Josh would kill me if anything had happened to me too. It was the least I could do after leaving him alone with Sam for the night.

I smiled at the thought, knowing that within the hour, Josh would be wishing he was alone rather than with Sam talking his ear off until he finally fell asleep.

As I pulled up my driveway, I noticed my mom's bedroom light on. I felt bad that I hadn't really seen her at the party, so I quickly made my way inside and up the steps, going down the hall and peeking my head into her doorway to which she flashed me an exhausted smile.

"There you are!" She sighed. "How is he? We all heard but.. their mom said that you all had gone out to see him and we didn't want to overwhelm him. Is he alright?" I nodded, leaning up against the doorframe.
"Yeah, he's okay." I said softly. She held her stare on me for a moment, her smile growing.
"What is it?" She asked. I shrugged, not able to contain my flustered grin, my cheeks now turning bright red.

"Um.. well.. Jake's on his way home and.. I.. well, I was wondering-"
"If he could stay over?" She asked. I nodded, biting down on my lip. She sighed, playfully rolling my eyes.

"You know, as cool of a mom as I am.." She said, giggling to herself. "I don't want you thinking I'm too cool that I'm not still your mother. But.. today is your big day so.. if I happen to fall asleep within the next few minutes, well.. maybe just be quiet." She said with a wink. I went over, pulling her into a tight hug.

"Thank you." I whispered. I felt her rub my back, hugging me tighter.
"Thank you for asking. Tell him I said 'Hi.'" She said, finally letting me go, motioning back out into the hallway.
"I think he would feel better if he thought you didn't know he was here." I laughed. She nodded, letting out another deep sigh.

"Alright, well.. don't have too much fun. Remember, I'm still your mother. And I'm right down the hall." She said, smirking up at me. "You are being saf-"
"Okay, Mom. Thank you." I said, quickly making my way out and shutting the door behind me.