Chapter 206: On Our Way

The next morning I was woken up by the feeling of Josh climbing out of bed, stumbling through the dark and into the bathroom. I forced myself to sit up, rubbing my eyes as I looked around. The sun was just starting to peek over the horizon, leaving the dark sky fading into a dusty midnight blue. The silence in the air was calming; it truly felt like a new start.

As he quietly made his way back to bed, trying his best not to wake me, he stopped when he noticed I was already sitting up, giving me a tired smile.

"Sorry." He whispered, making his way over to my side of the bed, leaning into a quick kiss. "I tried to be quiet." I reached up, gently caressing his face, kissing him again.
"It's okay. We should be getting ready to leave anyway." He sighed, leaning his forehead against mine.

"As excited as I am, I really just want to stay here with you." He giggled, sitting down on the edge of my bed. I nodded, reaching over for his hand. I was excited too, but this was the best twenty-four hours of my life, and I just wanted to live in them a little bit longer before I was forced back into reality.

"Did you have a good night at least?" He asked. I nodded, feeling my cheeks burn.
"Oh, I had a very good night." I laughed, leaning into another long kiss. His smile grew as he leaned in, kissing me again.
"Good."

The drive home flew by much faster than usual, no doubt because of the nerves, knowing that the sooner we got home, the sooner it would be time for us to leave. Thankfully we were all packed up and ready to go, it was just the 'goodbye's' I was dreading the most.

As we pulled up the driveway, I could already see everyone waiting outside for us, now trying my best to hold back my tears. I was so happy to be going, but how badly I wished I could take them all with me.

Josh parked the car and made his way around, opening the passenger door for me, taking my hand and helping me out. I felt my cheeks burn as my mom flashed me a smile, always loving how much of a gentleman he was. She didn't hesitate to make her way over, pulling me into a tight hug.

"I'm going to miss you so much." She whispered. I squeezed her tighter.
"I'm gonna miss you too, but.. it won't be that long, and.. I'll call all the time and if you want-" I stopped myself, knowing that she would never be able to get away long enough to visit. "Josh and I.. we can come back home to visit on weekends sometimes." I felt her sigh, gently placing her hand on the back of my head.

"That's okay. I want you to enjoy this time together, and.. yourself too. I know how excited you are, to be with him, and going through this together, but you earned this too, and I never want you to lose sight of that. Despite everything, this is your accomplishment too." I nodded, looking back up at her, unable to stop the tears this time.

"Thank you." I mouthed to her. "For everything." She nodded, tears now coming to her eyes too. I quickly moved away before we both lost it, turning to Sam who stood by eagerly.

"Come here.." I laughed, holding my arms out to him. He didn't hesitate to pull me in, squeezing me tight as he spun me around, his laughter bellowing in my ear. How much I would miss the sound of his laugh.
"I'm gonna miss you." I sighed, still holding onto his arms after he put me back down. He bit down on his lip, holding his stare on me for a moment.
"I'm gonna miss you too, Jaime." He said, then peeked over at Josh who was now at their front steps, talking to his mom.

"You didn't tell him.. did you?" He asked quietly. I shook my head, giving him a gentle smile.
"No." I whispered. "I promised, remember?" He nodded, his smile growing.
"Thanks. It's just.. I don't-"
"I know. It's okay. Just.. don't think about it too much when I'm gone." I joked. His eyes went wide as he scrunched up his face, playfully pushing me away.
"Oh, shut up, Jaime." He groaned, his smile still never once fading from his lips. He then carefully grabbed my shirt, pulling me back into another hug, gently kissing my cheek.

"Despite everything, I'm.. I'm happy that you're at least going to be my sister now, I mean, you always kind of have been, right?" He said, smirking back at me. I shrugged, biting down on my lip.

"I mean, I don't know, it's kinda weird to kiss your sister, isn't it?" I joked. He shot me another look, shaking his head before playfully pushing me away.
"Goodbye Jaime!" He laughed, now making his way back towards their house.

And then there was Jake.

He hung back, waiting for me to finally make my way over to him. I hesitated for a moment before finally going over and hugging him tight, hiding my face in his chest. He stayed quiet, gently rubbing my back, his hands eventually finding their way into my hair.

How much I missed being held by him.

"You're gonna do amazing." He whispered into my ear. "You are.. talented and smart and.. those city people aren't gonna know what hit 'em. And I can't wait to see what you make because.. whatever it is, I know it's going to be.. incredible." I finally moved away, gently caressing his face as I stared back into his eyes. They gazed upon me so graciously, even when I've been anything but.

"Thank you." I mouthed back to him. "I love you." He sighed, his smile growing.
"I love you too. Now.. go." I nodded, smirking back at him before pulling him in, kissing his forehead and quickly moving away as I felt him reach out for me.
"Jaime.." He laughed, his cheeks burning red. I shook my head, giggling to myself.
"No, Jake." He was quiet for a moment, holding his stare on me.

"So.. you're really gonna do this, huh?" He asked.
"This meaning.."
"Meaning.. get married." My stomach dropped.
"Yeah." I finally said. "I am."
"And.. you're happy."
"I am."
"So.. one day.. you guys will-"
"We don't have to talk about this." He stopped again, reaching out for my hand. I let him this time.

"I just.. did you not want that with me, or.. did you not want it at all?" He asked. I felt my body get cold. This was the last thing I wanted to talk about with him. But at the same time.. not talking about it felt wrong too. I knew how I felt now.

"My mom is really sick, Jake.." I said. He nodded, now looking back at me confused, I'm sure wondering where I was going with this.
"I.. I know."
"And I wouldn't be able to live with myself if.. she never got to meet.. my family." His whole demeanor changed, the color instantly draining from his face.

"So.. you two are already planning to-"
"Not planning, but.. we're just.. we're seeing what happens." He nodded, his jaw clenching.
"Jaime, is this what you want, or.. is this what everyone else wants?"

I had been asking myself this over and over, but.. last night I was finally sure.
This was what I wanted.

"This is what I want." I finally said. He nodded again, letting out a defeated sigh but eventually forced a gentle smile.
"Then.. I'll be as happy for you as I can be." He reached out for me again, pulling me back into another hug. I held on tight, not letting go until he did, unsure of when I'd get to hold him like this again.

"And I'm gonna come visit you." He giggled. "Whether he likes it or not."
"I'm sure he's gonna want to see you too, Jake. He's gonna miss you." I felt him shrug.
"Maybe. But.. I want to come see you."
"Fine." I laughed. "You can come and see me."
"Okay." He said, playfully shoving me away. "Now go, really this time, before.. I get upset."
"Okay. Goodbye, Jake." He nodded, biting down hard on his lip, trying his best to hold back his tears.
"Goodbye, Jaime."

As I moved away, I could see Josh waiting by the car for me already, no doubt having watched that whole thing. I made my way back down the driveway, turning around and giving them another wave.

"Ready?" Josh asked, his eyes lighting up. I nodded, an exciting grin escaping my lips as he opened the passenger door for me.
"Ready."

I got in, keeping my eyes locked on them all as he shut the door behind me and made his way around the car and into the driver's seat, but then I felt him slip his hand into mine, intertwining our fingers, and in an instant, everything felt right.

And we were on our way.