Chapter 221: I'll Take Care of You

"Right now?" I asked. He nodded, holding his stare on me. The last thing I wanted to do now was leave.
"I promise, it won't take too long." He insisted, now motioning back to the house. I hesitated for a moment, peeking back at Jake who was already giving me a look. I quickly went over, pulling him in closer.

"I'll be right out, okay?" I said, whispering into his ear. He stared back at me, skeptical, before bringing his attention over to Sam.
"Where are you going?" He asked.
"Sam just asked if he could give me his gift." I said, now feeling my face get hot. Jake was quiet again, holding his stare on Sam, like he knew something I didn't. I then reached up, gently caressing his face, pulling him in and kissing his cheek.

"I'll be right back, I promise." I whispered, my smile growing into a giddy grin. His annoyed glare eventually softened into a playful smirk.
"Okay fine." He sighed. "But you can't just do that every time-"
"I don't know what you're talking about." I laughed, now making my way over towards the house. Sam quickly followed, rushing ahead to open the sliding door for me, shutting it behind us.

"You didn't go crazy again, did you?" I asked, sitting down at their counter. He shook his head, going over to the other side, pushing a bright yellow gift bag towards me.
"No." He laughed. "Don't worry, but you did promise me that you'd show me what you've made with your camera. Don't think I forgot." I nodded, playfully rolling my eyes, knowing that he would never forget.

"I know, I know, I promised. I remember." I said, bringing my attention back to the gift bag. His smile grew, his cheeks now burning red. His smile was contagious.

I quickly looked away.

"Alright, so.. what is this thing?" I laughed, peeking inside the bag. He playfully rolled his eyes, making his way over to the other side of the counter, now sitting down close to me. I felt my body get hot as he scooted the stool that much closer, his leg now brushing up against mine.

"Okay.." He sighed. "So.. um.. maybe.. maybe you should just open it." I pulled out the tissue paper, giggling to myself until I reached the bottom, where a single folded piece of paper lied at the bottom. I hesitated, peeking back at Sam who motioned back towards the bag with a nervous grin.

I pulled it out, carefully opening it to see he had written me something, and the more I read, the more I realized.. it was a song.

"Sam.." I sighed, turning back to him. "What's this?" He stared back at me anxiously, biting down on his lip.
"Okay, so.. the other night, when you called me, I.. after we hung up, I just.. I don't know, I couldn't stop thinking about it, and.. well, you, and I just.. I don't know, I got inspired and.. I figured.. you should hear it. If you want."

I didn't know what to say.

"My guitar is in my room if you wanna.." He said, motioning towards the stairs. I hesitated for a moment, feeling my heart beat faster. Part of me felt like I shouldn't, hating the idea of keeping Jake waiting outside but.. it was Sam. He was harmless. And.. he had put all that time into it.

The least I could do was listen, right?

"O-okay." I finally said. His smile grew as he got up, reaching out his hand for me. I looked down at it, getting up and reluctantly taking it. He quickly lead me upstairs and into his bedroom, shutting the door behind him.

I stumbled around, wondering when the last time I was actually in his room. It had to have been years ago, and it didn't last long. Perhaps just sticking my head in the doorway to let him know that dinner was ready, or that the rest of us were heading down to the river, wondering if he wanted to join us.