Chapter 212: Something Else I Wanted

As I made my way back to my seat, I couldn't take my eyes off of Josh who was already beaming. I was happy that if anything, I was now about to give him this opportunity too, having promised a job on the movie if I somehow won.

And now it was all happening.

Before I could say anything, he reached out for me, pulling me into a tight hug. I loved how easy it was to get lost within him, feeling like I could melt between his fingertips. After all these years, I always wondered if he truly understood how much he still had an affect on me.

And how much he would for the rest of our lives.

I know most couples say that once you move in together, the "honeymoon phase" eventually begins to fade, but it felt like the opposite with us; the more comfortable we became, the easier it was to love as fully as we wanted to without any fear of rejection.

And I loved him more than anything.
This was just the start of our future together.

"I am so proud of you." He sighed, refusing to let go. "But I can't say that I didn't see it coming."
"You have to say that." I laughed. He shook his head, now staring back at me with his usual dazed eyes.
"Maybe, but I mean it. And look, I was right. Oh my god, Jaime, you're gonna make a movie." I still couldn't believe it. Something I had written was one day going to be on the big screen.

The thought it of suddenly made me nervous. This was something so personal to me, something that once meant everything, and soon enough it was going to be on display for the world to judge, and all I could do was portray it with the justice it deserved.

Because it was beautiful. And it was so easy to love.
Even if it didn't work out in the real world.

"I love you so much." I whispered, gently caressing his cheek. He smiled back at me, his eyes lighting up as he leaned into a gentle kiss.
"I love you more, Jaime. And I can't wait to see what you do. Which screenplay did they end up picking anyway?" He asked. My stomach dropped.
"We can talk about everything later once this is over." I insisted. He nodded, flashing me another eager grin before turning back towards the stage.

That was a conversation for another time.

"Congratulations again Miss Jaime Adams, to a job well done. We all are looking forward to what you accomplish in the future. And now to the graduating class, join me in moving your tassels.." I peeked over at Josh who watched eagerly, taking his tassel in his hand and moving it from the right to the left side. I did the same, keeping my eyes locked on him.

He was so happy, and nothing made me happier than seeing him happy.

"From this day forward, you are officially graduates! Congratulations!" And with a swift toss, we were surrounded by a sea of caps flying around us as if in slow motion. I looked back up at Josh to see him admiring everything happening around him, truly taking in the moment. I wad glad that after everything, he was so proud of himself. And he should be.

Then he turned to me, and without hesitation he reached up, holding my face in my hands before pulling me into a long, passionate kiss. I couldn't help but smile, kissing him back as much as I could manage, unable to contain my giddy grin.

And as excited as I was for this, I couldn't deny how much I had been thinking about our deal, about what came after graduation, and despite knowing that I was going to be making my movie soon, there was just something else I wanted just a tiny bit more. But despite the fact that I had managed to convince him to start trying a little bit sooner, it seemed the universe just wasn't ready to give us that just yet.

But for the time being, we could at least start thinking about planning our wedding. All depending on how much this movie consumed the rest of my life, because I wanted this to be a special time in our lives too. I already knew I wanted to be with him forever, but when you finally find the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, it's impossible not to want forever to start as soon as possible.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, unable to break our gaze until I began to see the rest of the students start clear out of the seating area and search for their families.
"We should go find everyone." I said, motioning away. He nodded before leaning into another long kiss, knowing it would be a while before the two of us to be alone again.

I appreciated every second with him.

It didn't take long for the family to find us, Jake craning his neck over the crowds of people, searching until his eyes met mine, giving me a timid wave, trying his best to contain his grin. I waved back before peeking up at Josh, giving him questioning eyes.
"Go ahead." He said softly, winking at me. "I know he wants to congratulate you."
"Stop it." I laughed, playfully hitting his chest. His smile grew as he pulled me in closer, kissing my forehead before gently nudging me away.
"Go." He mouthed before going over to his parents.

I could feel my heart beating faster as I made my way over to him, his eyes glued to me, staring at me in such a way that, many years ago I had dreamed of being stared at, but after these past few months, it felt different. Like a long lost love, tragically left to bloom only within the confides of the written page, but soon to be plastered across movie screens around the world.

"Jaime.." He sighed, reaching out for me, pulling me into a tight hug. My heart jumped at the feeling of his body tensing up around mine, the smell of his cologne gently wafting from his shirt, combined with his familiar, intoxicating scent, subtly drifting from his hair. I was overcome with another wave of nostalgia of a love my heart had once craved, but despite it all, I knew it was something I'd have to resist for the rest of my life.

"You did it." He said, squeezing me even tighter, carefully spinning me around. I wrapped my arms around his neck, holding him tightly until he let me down, flashing me a wide grin, his eyes instinctively moving down to my lips. I bit down on them, holding my stare on him.

"Yeah." I finally sighed. "I did it. I don't know how, but.. I did it." He nodded, his eyes now in a daze as they moved back down to my lips. I shook my head, smirking up at him. He caught himself, bringing his attention back up to meet my gaze.

"What do you mean you don't know how you did it?" He laughed, reluctantly reaching up, gently touching my cheek. "You're the most talented girl I've ever met." I playfully rolled my eyes.
"You've never even read anything I've done." I giggled to myself. He shrugged.
"I don't have to. I just know you. But.. now that you mention it.. will I ever get to read it? Or.. do I have to wait to see it in theaters like everyone else?"

If only he knew that, him of all people had every right to see what I had written before the rest of the world.

"Maybe." I muttered, feeling my face get hot. His smile grew.
"I can handle maybe." He said, reaching out for me again. I subtly moved away.
"Jaime.." He sighed.
"Jake.." I mocked, shaking my head. He scrunched up his face.

"So, you know we're throwing you guys a party when we get back." He said, now shoving his hands in his pockets. I was thankful, knowing I could only deny him the chance to caress me within his loving embrace so many times.
"So I've heard." I beamed, excited to finally have a night that was about celebrating me.
"Well, I was just wondering if.. maybe.. if you're not too busy, if you could.. just give us a minute alone to talk."
"Talk about what?" I asked, feeling my heart beat faster again. He shrugged, biting down on his lip, knowing fully well what he wanted to talk about.

I peeked over, searching for Josh amongst the crowd, finally finding him next to my mom. As if by instinct, he instantly turned to face me, flashing me a beaming grin.

"We'll see."