chapter 37

I walk into the living room. I smile as I see derek laid on the couch, asleep.

The baby is in the cot upstairs and he has the baby monitor in his hands. Scarlett is with her mommy today. I've been sleeping.

I gently take the baby monitor off of him. "Derek" I whisper. He opens his eyes slowly. "Is the baby okay?" He grabs the monitor. "Yeah, she's okay" I smile. He let's out a breath.

I put the monitor aside. "Our parents are gonna be here soon to start the wedding planning.. you wanna get ready?" I stroke his hair. He sits up slowly. I kiss him softly.

"You think our parents are gonna get along?" He pulls me onto his lap. I straddle him. "Well, they did at the hospital" I shrug. "True" he says.

"I can't believe my mom likes you" I say. "Rude" he says. "My mom barely likes me" I say. "Well, I'm a world renowned neurosurgeon" he says. "Yeah.. plus you're really really sexy" I smirk. "And your mom cares about that?" He chuckles. I giggle.

"My mom loves you" he says. "Yeah?" I smile. He nods. He smiles brightly, kissing me. "Your mom is the sweetest" I say. "I know, she's the best" he says.

"Your dad's so nice too.. you're lucky" I smile small. "Yeah, I know" he says. "You know who else is lucky?" I say. He looks at me. "Scar and violet.. they have you as a dad" I say. He smiles. "And you as a mom" he says. I smile.

"You know the other day, the worker at daycare was telling me about how scarlett was showing off her two mommies to everyone" he says. "Really? She called me her mom?" I ask. He nods. I smile brightly.

I grab Derek's phone and pass it to him. He chuckles. He calls addison for me and gets scarlett on the phone.

"Hi baby" I smile. "Hi mer!" She squeals happily. "What you up to?" I ask. "I play with toys" she says. "I love you, scarlett" I say. "I love you also" she says.

"Me and daddy miss you" I say. "I miss you also" she says. I smile wider. "You wanna speak to daddy?" I ask. "Yes pwease" she says. I pass the phone to derek.

"Hi darling" he says. "Yes baby, you can get as much sweets as you want tomorrow when I see you" he says. "I love you baby, bye" he says. "Bye bye" he hangs up.

"She thinks of me as her mom" I can't hold back the huge grin on my face. "Honey, of course she does" he says.

"I think of her as my daughter.. I just didn't-" I tear up. "Meredith, she loves you more than anything" he hugs me. "Not as much as I do though" he puts his hands on my cheeks. I giggle. He kisses me.

"What do you think would've happened if I hadn't have met you that night in the bar?" He asks. "I think.. I wouldn't be where I am right now.. and I would not be this happy" I say. He smiles.

"Do you think you'd be with Addison right now if we weren't together?" I ask quietly. "No baby" he shakes his head.

He smiles as we hear the baby crying. "Yes! She's awake!" He gets up and runs upstairs. I giggle, rolling my eyes.

"Come here, I want cuddles with my little girl" I hear him say in a baby voice over the monitor. I chuckle.

He comes back downstairs holding her. He sits next to me. He kisses her nose softly. She coos quietly. "Mer, I love her so much" he says. I giggle. "I do too" I reach up and run my fingers through his curls.

"You wanna feed her?" I go and grab her bottle from the fridge when she starts crying. "Yes, me do me do!" he says excitedly. I grin, handing it to him. He smiles brightly as he feeds her.

I go and answer the door when I hear the bell rings a bunch of times. "Okay okay, stop ringing" I giggle, opening the door.

My smile fades immediately as I see who's there. "James" I say shocked. "Oh my god, my baby's here?" He whispers, looking at my stomach.

"She's not your baby, James" I say. "A girl? Can I see her?" He asks. "No!" I yell. "She's my baby! It's my right to see her!" He steps towards me, grabbing my arm.

"Meredith, are you okay?" Derek walks over. "Don't bring her over here" I look back at him. He puts violet in her cot before walking over.

"Get off of me!" I say tearfully, trying to pull his hand off of my arm. Derek comes over and rips his hand off of me.

"Don't fucking touch her!" Derek pushes him. My whole body feels heated. I feel so overwhelmed with anger.

The next thing I know, I'm punching him in the face. He falls back. "She isn't your baby! You weren't there for me the nine months she was inside of me, you weren't there for her birth and you weren't there for the first few weeks of her life!" I step towards him.

"You abused me, and you don't get rewarded for that! Derek was here the whole time and he loves us both.. he's her dad, not you!" I look into his eyes.

"Darling, I'm sorry.. I promise I-" he puts his hand on my cheek. "I'm not your fucking darling! I'm marrying derek, you are not in my life anymore and you're certainly not in hers! Leave me alone" I say.

He steps back slowly. "Go!" Derek yells, pushing him away. He gets in his car and leaves.

I hug derek, hiding my face in his chest. He wraps his arms around me. I sob into his chest quietly. We go inside soon after.