Season 1: Chapter 7 - The Pain that Drives

Start from the beginning

Ashley is on the verge of bursting out to tears when Mark looks over at Caleb, realizing what he's thinking. 

Mark: We're already out here. What if we all went to get something to eat? Might help a little bit. 

Isabella: I'd be okay with doing that. What does Ashley and Caleb think? They're the ones that matter here. 

Ashley sniffles before wiping her tears with her arm. 

Ashley: Well, we have to do something to pass the time... Guess I can eat...

Mark looks at Caleb. 

Mark: Caleb? 

Caleb is still lost in his thought when Mark snaps his fingers in front of him, snapping him out of it, looking at him. 

Caleb: What? What are we doing? 

Mark: Figuring out what to do. Wanted to know if you were okay with getting something to eat. 

Caleb: Yeah... yeah, that sounds fine.

Aryan comes walking into the inn, looking around before walking over to and going up the stairs. 

He comes walking up to the last door on the left, knocking. 

???: Come in. 

Aryan goes inside, closing the door behind him. The guy is sitting at his desk with his phone out and on playing news footage. 

???: The news is starting to roll out. Gyoe Sieks and Ava Greer have been hospitalized. They're not sure if Gyoe will survive. Quite the tragedy to befall them. 

Aryan: Just doing my job. There's nothing to glorify about it. 

???: That's where you're wrong, Aryan. There's everything to glorify about it. One more Sieks is down for the count. Just one more to get rid of and then we can complete our mission. It's so close. 

Aryan sighs.

Aryan: Let me guess. You want me to find Caleb and take care of him? 

???: No. I want you to find Caleb and bring him here to me. After all, I think he'd like to meet the guy who killed his father. 

Aryan nods as the guy slides him a piece of paper. 

Inside of a diner, Caleb, Mark, Ashley, and Isabella are sitting at a table with food in front of them. Caleb has barely touched his. 

Mark: Come on, Caleb. You have to eat. 

He's staring out the window, not paying attention to any of them. 

Mark: Caleb... Hey!

He shakes him, breaking him out of it after a few seconds and he looks at him. 

Caleb: Sorry. What were you saying? 

Mark: I... don't think that matters right now. What's on your mind? 

Caleb sighs. 

Caleb: They've taken so much already. And now, they don't just continue hurting my family, but now they go after Ashley's sister too. These people crossed the line years ago... and now they just continue to push it. I'm tired of it. 

Mark: What are you trying to say? You want to go after these people? 

Caleb: I've wanted to go after them for a while now. But their most recent actions showed me that I shouldn't have hesitated. I should've been hunting them from the start. 

Isabella stares at him. 

Isabella: Doesn't that seem a bit ambitious? I mean, there's just one of you, and how many of them? 

Mark: Yeah, Isabella's right. And not just that, they have guns as well. I don't know how much you'll realistically do against them. 

Caleb: I need to do this. They can't be allowed to cause any more damage.

Mark: That may be true, sure. They should've been taken care of. But I don't want that to be at the expense of you dying, too. What do you think I would do without you? 

Caleb lets out a sigh, hanging his head. 

Ashley: I can understand where you're coming from. Something has to be done about them. But that doesn't have to be something stupid. 

Caleb: They're tormented me for so long. I've had nightmares about that day. I need to be the one. 

Ashley: Just think! Your sister is going to wake up one day. Do you want her to wake up with nobody to go to? Because that's what'll happen if you die. She'll wake up... and she'll be alone. 

He just stares at her, tears visible in his eyes.

Caleb: Yeah? And what if they come after me? Because it seems like they went after my family on that night and my uncle all on their own. I think somebody needs to take the fight to them for a change. 

Mark lets out a sigh. 

Mark: Okay, fine. Let's say you did that. You don't even know where they are. Where would you start? 

Caleb: I don't know. Anywhere but here. 

He stands up and goes walking out of the diner. 

Outside, Caleb leans against the building, looking down at the hilt on his waist. 

Caleb: You've always wanted me to be a hero, right? Well, heroes protect and fight for the innocent. And right now, the best to do it is to take down those people. So that's exactly what I'm going to do. 

That's when a gunshot rings out, followed by a bullet hitting Caleb in the leg, causing him to collapse to the ground. 

A van then comes driving up to him before two guys with black masks and red goggles come out of it, knocking Caleb out, and dragging him back into the van. They close the door before driving off. 

The screen then goes to black as an explosion is heard.