Part 6 - Skirted

Začít od začátku

"Well, boys are just less fashionable. Now, come on! Try that pink one first!"

"I need to wear all 15?"

Tess just grins, "How else will you know which one Maxine likes most?" She's got me there.

"This looks like it came from an art school." And it might have. The hem has been cut with those scissors kids use to make the paper all jagged. You know, for when they want to make monster teeth or something.

"It's scalloped, sis. It's supposed to look like that. Let's see it on you!"

I only feel ridiculous as I proceed to put it on. It feels like I'm wearing tissue paper. "I don't think this is the one, sis. It feels like it's biting me."

"That's OK! 14 more to go! Next!" She calls as if she's holding auditions.

The next one feels even worse. It's a maroony-burgundy colour, and it's all velvet. "I feel like I'm wearing a bed runner." We move on to the third.

"Is that a smile?" Tess asks. It might be.

The third skirt is plaid. It has a dark blue pattern on it that I've seen on many a drawn manga girl. To be wearing one feels a little more right than the other two have.

"I think I'm alright with this one." I start swaying slowly, holding the hem while being careful not to undo the wrap Tess just helped me to secure.

"You're so cute! OK, next one. I know you like this one, but you might like another even more!" Her logic is too strong.

"This isn't as good."

"I agree." Tess helps me take off a white maxi skirt. It's too long. It feels like a curtain. "Next one, please!"

Tess smiles even wider. "Even you want to try more now, right?"

"Well...I plead the fifth." And sure enough, she hands me the fifth.

It's a similar length but in a dark green this time. "No, still not feeling the length."

"I don't love the maxi ones on you either. We can skip those."

The sixth one must be a gym skirt. It's lightweight and black with two white stripes along the bottom. "Is it weird if I like this one?"

"Nope. We're just starting to see your style. Seems as though you have more in common with those girls you draw than you first thought, though!"

"Nope." Yes.

"Here's the next one, Maxine. A teen girl staple. " Tessa even winks at me as she says it.

It's a plain old denim skirt, but I can't say it isn't comfortable. It's feels just like shorts, right up until my legs touch each other.

"I'm good with this one as well." Tess keeps enjoying my new discoveries about myself.

"Ninth one is a maxi. Skip it." So I do. I move on to the tenth.

"Isn't this a school skirt?"

"My school skirt is tartan, silly! It's just a basic comfy navy skirt. It will feel like your trousers, though."

"Yeah, I don't hate it. I even knew how to fasten that one!" It's not a surprise. It fastens like my trousers do.

"If you ever want to borrow it for school, just say the word."

"Nope. It's never going to happen."

"We'll see. On to number 11."

This one is so short! It's yellow and white, and it looks like a table cloth. Actually, it's more like a dish towel with this length. "Why do I like this one?"

"It's perfect for a hot day in the sun with the girlies!" I turn to her in disgust, causing another grin. "Sorry, more internet girl speak."

"I hardly know you, do I?"

"Well, you're my brother, and you're trying on skirts. Seems we have a lot to learn about each other."

I grumble at her as a joke, then ask for the next one. "Twelve now?"

"Nope, twelve is a maxi. Thirteen."

I blush upon seeing it. It is pinker than the first one, and as short as, if not shorter than, the yellow and white dish rag, "This looks like a tutu."

"That's sort of the point. Go ahead, I won't laugh."

One minute later, I have an answer I hate. "I don't mind this one."

"You're such a girl, sis! OK, fourteen!"

"This is just the school skirt, not school skirt again."

"With a twist. See that hem. They call that a pleat."

"I thought pleats were a hair thing."

"They're both!" She watches as I put the skirt on, knowing exactly where to tighten it as it is just like the one from several skirts ago. "Again, yeah. Wouldn't mind this one if I were a girl. And I like this one sort of matching my nails, too. "

"You could be a girl with this attitude. And now, the grand finale!"

It's burgundy again, but not velvet. Something that I would imagine feels even worse. Leather.

But no... no, it can't be! I zip it up at the back (Tess helps me get it right up), and I really hate that I like this one.

"There must be something wrong with me. I shouldn't like these."

"My wardrobe is there for you any time, bro. I mean, sis. I mean, bro. Just put everything back where you find it, and um... don't use my underwear. I know what happens."

That doesn't bear thinking about, so I simply put my joggies back on and leave the room, totally confused by the whole experience.