Chapter 19

They didn't move from the bathroom, TK could barely stand up and before long he would need to go back. So, taking advantage of the twins sleeping, Carlos sat on the floor and settled TK in a sitting position, leaning over him. He placed a cool wet towel on his forehead and massaged his kidney area, though he wasn't sure that would do any good.

"My mother is on her way down. As soon as she gets here, we'll go to the emergency room and you'll see how soon we'll be back."

"I hope you're right, but with how much this hurts, I doubt it."

Carlos kissed his cheek and neck and as he had done it during the months of pregnancy, he was already in the habit of rubbing his belly.

"It doesn't matter, really. If we have to stay a couple of days at the hospital, we have plenty of people willing to look after the kids."

"I can't be separated from them, I have to breastfeed them and Dani needs... We have to do the massages and..." Shifting nervously on the floor, TK felt the twinge of pain in his kidneys. "Shit."

"Exactly. Your body is telling you to stop and let others take care of you and our children if need be."

TK closed his eyes and grumbled, he couldn't do any more and wasn't even able to roll over on the floor to make it back to the toilet.

So, resigned, he sat there, and dropped his body against Carlos.

He wasn't sure if he had fallen asleep, lost track of time, or if Andrea had just been very quick. But, after what seemed like a mere moment of silence, they heard the sound of keys unlocking the loft door and at the same time the twins burst into tears.

"Wow..." Carlos muttered.

"Go, if we're going to be gone for a couple of days, at least take advantage of this time with the kids."

"I'm not going to leave you here alone."

"I just have to find the strength to stand up and get to the bed to put on a pair of shoes."

The thought of TK moving didn't amuse Carlos, but he didn't like to leave his children crying for a long time either. His mother had just arrived, she hadn't had time to get comfortable and Carlos didn't want to throw the little ones on her already.

"I'll be back in five minutes."

"Take your time. My kidney stones aren't going anywhere."

Carlos glared at TK for that comment, then got to his feet and went to get the kids. As soon as he entered the bedroom he noticed the strong smell of a poopy diaper and another baby upset by the smell coming from his sister.

Luna's cheeks were completely flushed from crying and her diaper was so full it was about to explode. "Let's see my baby girl. Something tells me we have a nuclear emergency in here, we're going to have to change that diaper."

The little girl continued to cry even when he had removed her diaper which almost made Carlos throw up as he still wasn't used to the amount of poop and the smell that could come out of such a small body.

"Come on, princess, don't cry. It's uncomfortable, I know, but in no time you're going to be clean and in a dry diaper."

From his crib, Daniel had stopped crying and was back to sleep now that the smell was no longer so terrible. Carlos held the baby girl in his arms and rocked her to finish soothing her before putting on the new diaper.

In a way he felt it was to soothe himself. The birth of the children had been quite complicated and he had feared for TK's life until he had been swept away in exhaustion. Daniel would have hip and leg problems all his life and now TK was in trouble again.