Chapter 17

One week, he had been told that one week he could be back home. But he had also been told that only Luna could go home with him and Carlos. Daniel needed a few days in the hospital to get his hip and leg back on track.

It wasn't the best of solutions, TK was desperate to have a normal family, to have the twins with them at last and he...he wanted to be normal at last. Get out of bed, go to the kitchen to get something to drink, go to the bathroom, take a shower or sit on the couch with Carlos to watch TV for a while.

"Let's take it one step at a time." Peter told him one of his nurses. "The doctor told me that today you can get up and go to the bathroom by yourself."

TK burst out laughing, Peter had a funny sense of humor and sometimes TK himself didn't understand it because he likes to treat bad news or even death with humor, as if they weren't something important around him.

But Peter stood there, serious but calm.

"Are you serious, can I get up?"

"Very carefully and with someone's help the first few times."

TK smiled nervously and looked at both Carlos, Owen and Andrea. They were all making turunos to be with him and the twins. Although the children's visit was ending for the night, doad that TK had been able to breastfeed Luna and would soon start with Daniel, they were to take turns going with them and being with TK.

"Can I go to see to children?" TK asked, when he still hadn't even tried to move.

"I've already told you that you have to go step by step." Peter said and handed him the robe they had left already prepared from two days ago on the closet door for when TK was ready to stand up. "First, you're going to sit on the bed and you're going to stand up. Come give me your hand, I'll help you."

"Can you do that Carlos?"

TK turned to Carlos. They should have asked him before if he wanted to do it, if he felt capable of doing it or if he preferred a professional nurse to give him a hand in case something happened.

But without saying anything, Carlos stood up with a huge smile on his lips, stood at the side of the bed and held out his hands. TK nodded, even sitting up was painful, but in those days he had learned to move.

His legs felt numb, he had barely moved them these days unless it was for the constant massages given by the nurses, Carlos and Andrea. They kept him active, as much as possible, so, not without a terrible effort, TK found himself sitting up in bed staring at the floor. His bare feet were dangling and Owen pulled the gown over his shoulders as he noticed he was shaking.

"Are you ready to put your feet on the floor?" His father asked, clasping his hands on his shoulders.

"No, but I'm sure I have to." He replied nervously and reached out to Carlos' hands, not that he hadn't changed his position.

Carlos nodded.

"You're the boss, let's go at your pace."

He was scared to death, even lying down, the pain from the C-section was tremendous. He could only imagine what it would be like the moment he actually stood up.

His legs were shaking, but he felt safe with Carlos. He gave himself to him, literally, because he knew full well that his body would not be able to hold him. He noticed Carlos's hands gripping him tightly. He took a deep breath and held it and slid down the edge of the bed until he felt the contact of the slippers on his feet.

Getting to his feet was the most painful experience he had ever had in his entire life. His lungs stopped breathing as he felt every single organ inside his body drop under the effect of gravity.