She's Mine: Chapter 22

Start from the beginning

"Eliza?" Loretta gasped through the glass doors.

Her sister in law unlocked the door and looked at Eliza and Lulu in complete shock. A tired dark-skinned beauty in a messy bun and a loose t-shirt and jeans was merely frozen, before she insisted, "Come in!"

Eliza's nervous smile wouldn't fade, especially not after seeing the weary look on Loretta's face.

The doors were closed, and Eliza turned back to see Loretta's large brown eyes looking at her and the curious Lulu.

"I had a baby," Eliza shyly muttered.

"So this is why Peter was so frustrated after his visit with you?" Loretta gasped.

Eliza nodded and swallowed a large knot.

"Oh my God," Loretta whispered in frustration.

Eliza didn't know what to say. She had prepared and explanation, but on her drive over, there was nothing to disclose. Lulu was here and that was all.

"Peter!" Loretta shouted over the ambiance of energetic children back in the kitchen.

Peter appeared out from the top of the steps with obvious annoyance before spotting his sister. He took in a deep breath and took his time coming down the stairs.

"Eliza," he groaned.

She couldn't say anything, not even a greeting. She wasn't sure if she was upset or angry at his tone.

His face was set in a scowl, and he knew what he was going to say but couldn't get a word out once Loretta cut in, "Your sister had a baby, and you didn't even tell me?!"

Confused he and Eliza turned to his wife.

"Yes, she had a baby and didn't even tell me until I went over unannounced," he corrected.

"What?" she glared at him.

"What are you confused about? Maybe if my sister explains it will make more or less sense," he snapped.

"Don't... judge me anymore," Eliza commanded.

Peter rolled his eyes to her, but she repeated herself," Don't ask me to come to your home so you can feel bigger than me. I was with a man, got pregnant, had a baby, and now I want to be a mother without the father in the picture."

His defenses were ready, "Why do you want to-"

Eliza tearfully shouted, "I want to be a single mother! I want to be there for my baby because I can! I want to be a parent! I could have risked giving her the childhood that we had but I know I don't have to because I know I can be a mother! I raised you! I can be a mother!"

Loretta swiftly put her arm around Eliza's shoulders and ushered her away into the kitchen. A few minutes passed by and Eliza had finally settled down at the kitchen table.

"Eliza, are you okay?" Loretta insisted, staring anxiously at Lulu's carrier on the floor beside her mother who rocked her back and forth.

"I'm okay," she angrily sniffed.

"Do you want me to talk to him?" She asked.

"It's alright. I'll find him."

"I'm right here," he grunted from the open doorway.

Eliza kept her eyes on her fidgeting daughter.

"I just can't believe it," he admitted watching his sister.

"Believe it. She's a real person that came from my surprisingly fertile womb," Eliza snipped.

Peter returned the attitude, "How else do you expect me to react?"