Chapter Twenty-Five: Familial Love

Start from the beginning

"Ummm, yeah!" Liz nodded, "I'm leaving Adventure Bay today. I just need to get a few more things together before I head out."

"Alright then! See you soon!"

With that, the call ended, leaving a bitter taste in her mouth. She'd have to tell Marshall that she never lived entirely in Adventure Bay sometime. But the question was how. How could she just casually break the news that she was leaving Adventure Bay for who knows how long? Especially since she and Marshall had forged a deep bond over the years?

Not only that, but she hadn't even found her scarf yet! There was no way she'd be leaving the town without the red scarf that had been given to her by her grandfather. She had already been neglectful enough to lose it somewhere in her house, but she wouldn't leave it behind. She couldn't. It'd be a disservice to him.

Taking the gas pump out of the car and closing it up, she hung the pump back on its hanger and opened the door to the car. She slipped her phone back into her pocket, sitting down in the driver's seat. After closing the door, they were back on the road once more.

The moment Liz returned to the car, the atmosphere within it weighed down on Rocky, Katie, and Everest. Marshall's attention was suddenly focused on the sights outside of the car, while Liz remained silent, driving the car. Unlike Marshal, Liz was actually skilled in hiding the fact that something was wrong, but Katie was able to pick up that something in the car certainly felt off.

Rocky and Everest turned to look at the other. The Husky raised an eyebrow, as if to ask what was going on. The ex-eco pup only shrugged. He was just as confused as she was. But whatever it was, he'd figure it out. Everest nodded. If anyone could figure Marshall out, it'd be him. He had a knack for it, after all.

She then noticed that they were fast approaching Adventure Bay. An idea came to her mind.

"Liz?" The former mountain pup broke the silence.

"What's up, Everest?"

"Could you drop me off at the base of Jake's mountain on the way back?" The Husky looked up and met Liz's eyes through the rear view mirror.

The redhead seemed confused, "Sure, but why?"

"I just want to see him. He is my owner, after all," Everest reasoned with her.

Liz nodded, "You're lucky you asked that now. We're pretty close to the mountain."

The Husky howled with glee. While yes, she was asking to go to Jake's Mountain for other purposes aside from visiting her owner, seeing the teen was always an added bonus. Besides, this was one of the times she really needed to see him.

Soon, they pulled up at the base of the mountain, Everest hopping out of the car as quickly as possible.

"Are you sure about this?" Liz raised an eyebrow, "It seems like a pretty far way up."

Everest gave the woman a smile, "No need to worry. I know this mountain like the back of my paw! I know a few shortcuts. Besides, I have the communicator Rocky made for me and Marshall."

"Still, be safe going up there, okay?" Katie instructed.

"I will. Oh, and Marshall?"

"Yeah?" The Dalmatian peeked out of his window.

"There's a small box I left somewhere back there, could you get it for me?"

Marshall nodded, ducking back down into the car and sniffing around. Her scent lingered in the car, and he thought that he could follow the strongest traces of her scent if she left something there. It surely would have her scent on it, right?