Chapter 50: The First Task

Start from the beginning

Rubi gave him a bewildered look before realizing what the redhead meant and glared at him. Fred's hand went into Rubi's locks and he pulled a few strands to the front to show her. Her usual black hair was mingled with some bright white.

Rubi frowned and swatted Fred's hand back, pushing back the loose strands while Fred only chuckled. Rubi then smacked him on the arm before she cracked a smile too.

"Thanks, Freddie."

He only winked at her and silently slipped his hand into hers, gripping onto her reassuringly.

A whistle had blown suddenly, signalling the start. Seconds later, Cedric Digfory stepped out and the crowd roared to life.

"Woohoo! Come on, Ced, you got this!" Rubi called out.

Fred grimaced, "I hope the dragon eats him." He muttered under his breath but George, who was right beside him, had heard.

"Aw, you jealous of pretty-boy Diggory?"

Fred elbowed him in the ribs hard. George winced

"Shut up." He growled as his twin rubbed his side. Lee laughed at the two, as he realized what was happening. Rubi, on the other hand, had all her attention on the Hufflepuff.

It was intense to say the least.

Cedric had decided to transfigure a nearby rock into a dog, which made the dragon go after the furry animal instead. Cedric had made a dash for it and managed to grab the Golden egg.

"YES CEDRIC!" Rubi shouted out, before her face paled slightly.

The dragon had decided to switch targets suddenly. The Swedish-Short Snout sprayed flames from its mouth. Cedric had gotten hit with some of it but before he could get severely hurt, he had gotten away.

Rubi gulped as she released a breath, "Please tell me, Harold will do better than that."

Up next was Fleur Delacour.

Fleur tried a charm where the Welsh Green Dragon slowly began to feel sleepy and it worked. However, the dragon snored and a jet of fire streaked out, lighting Fleur's skirt on fire, which she distinguished with water from her wand. She also managed to get her egg.

Third was Viktor Krum.

He shot a spell right at the Chinese Fireball, hitting it straight in the eye. The dragon howled with agony and accidentally ended up squashing half her eggs.

"He caused those poor babies to die." Rubi muttered out in anger and sadness.

Fred merely watched her, something running in his mind.

Last but not least was, Harry Potter.

The whistle blew once again and soon Harry had entered the arena.

The crowd was emitting loads of noise but Rubi didn't pay attention to them, her eyes were focused solely upon her cousin, who seemed to be observing everything before him. The Hungarian Horntail was watching him with calculating eyes from the other side.

Finally, Harry raised his wand.

"Accio Firebolt!" he shouted. Harry waited. Rubi waited anxiously as well, her leg beginning to bounce up and down again. And then they heard it.

The Firebolt hurtled toward Harry around the edge of the woods, soaring into the enclosure, and stopping dead in midair beside him, waiting for him to mount. The crowd was making even more noise... Bagman was shouting something... but Rubi's ears were not working properly anymore... listening wasn't important... She watched Harry swing a leg over his broom and kick off from the ground.