Chapter 50: The First Task

Start from the beginning

"Well, now we know what to do next time I can't manage a spell," Harry said, throwing a rune dictionary back to Hermione, so he could try again, "threaten me with a dragon. Right..." He raised his wand once more. "Accio Dictionary!" The heavy book soared out of Hermione's hand, flew across the room, and Harry caught it.

"Harry, I really think you've got it!" said Hermione delightedly.

"Just as long as it works tomorrow," Harry said.

"It will, Harry." Rubi said encouragingly, "I mean, you're Harry Potter! There's no way you're going to die at the hands of a dragon!"

"Rubi!" Hermione hissed.

"Hey, I'm just trying to lighten the mood." Rubi retorted, placing her hands on her hips.

"Thanks for the support, Black." Harry muttered. "But the Firebolt's going to be much farther away than the stuff in here, it's going to be in the castle, and I'm going to be out there on the grounds..."

"That doesn't matter," said Hermione firmly, "Just as long as you're concentrating really, really hard on it, it'll come. Harry, we'd better get some sleep... you're going to need it."

The atmosphere in the school was one of great tension and excitement the following day. Lessons were to stop at midday, giving all the students time to get down to the dragons' enclosure- though of course, they didn't yet know what they would find there.

Classes seemed to go by quickly and it wasn't long before Professor McGonagall was hurrying over to Harry in the Great Hall. Lots of people were watching.

"Potter, the champions have to come down onto the grounds now... You have to get ready for your first task."

"Okay," said Harry, standing up, his fork falling onto his plate with a clatter.

"Good luck, Harry," Hermione whispered. "You'll be fine!"

"Yeah, think positive and you'll do great!" Rubi added, shooting him two thumbs up.

"Yeah," said Harry in a voice that was most unlike his own. He left the Great Hall with Professor McGonagall.

As he disappeared, the smile fell off Rubi's face, "Hopefully, it'll go well." She sighed.

"I hope so too." Hermione replied.

"Why are you fretting, love? Harry has survived much worse."

And Fred slipped into the space beside Rubi, while George and Lee took a seat on both sides of Hermione.

"I'm excited to see what they'll have to do! It is supposed to be dangerous." Rubi reached over and smacked George on the head, hard.

"As much as I love trouble, this is the type that has me worried so please shut that big, fat mouth of yours before I decide to hex you."

George grinned widely but did not speak.

Soon, the whole school found themselves headed down to the Forbidden Forest, where near the edge, stands were set up for the audience to view from. Rubi was further up with the twins and Lee, while Hermione had taken a seat a bit down and front. Rubi was nervous. Her leg was bouncing up and down uncontrollably.

A hand touched her knee, making Rubi jump. She looked around and found herself looking into Fred's eyes.

"Relax, Rubi. He'll be fine."

Rubi only bit down into her bottom lip, her eyes beginning to fly around the landscape anxiously.

She heard Fred let out a humorous chuckle, "Well, you're aging, Black."