Chapter 60

I stood, carrying the last tote from the storage room, a weighty reminder that my time with Jason was running short.

Not that short. He still has to get an apartment - I still have time...

Jason watched me, "You don't have to do that, you know. I'm going to be hiring someone to take care of the rest of my stuff-"

I sent him a pointed look, "Excuse me, sir, but you hired me to do a job, and I intend to do it."

His lips curved into a gentle smile, "Okay, if you insist. Are you sure you have to go?"

"Work," I shrugged.

"Okay, well, I'll see you tomorrow?" Jason asked, a hint of something deeper in his eyes.

Tomorrow.

I felt my pulse spike as I nodded.

I'll tell him tomorrow.

I could almost see Sierra's disapproving glare, but the post-coital high hadn't seemed like the right place to bring it up.

Not when it has the potential to ruin everything...

Ice water spilled over my mood, and I realized that this might very well be our last time together. If I misjudged, if Jason wasn't as invested as I hoped, then telling him that I was could lead to the kind of devastating rejection that I might never recover from.

That's a bit overdramatic, I mused.

Is it so wrong to want to wait?

Unease settled into my bones as Jason leaned in and pressed a kiss to my temple. "This was fun - thanks for making me your guinea pig."

Smirking, I arched a brow, "Anytime."

"Do you need any help getting that into your car?"

I shook my head, "I've got the car - could you get the door for me?"

"Of course," Stepping away, he reached out, twisting the knob and pulling it toward himself. "Drive safe!"

I could feel his eyes on me as I walked to the back hatch of my car, carrying a batch of assorted junk and the weight of words unsaid.

The stereo blasted on my way to work, trying to distract myself from the inner turmoil boiling within me.

I almost didn't hear my phone.

One hand on the steering wheel, I lowered the music to zero before reaching over and grabbing it out of the center console.

Glancing down, I saw "Mom" on the screen before returning my eyes to the road ahead and answering, "Hello?"

"Hailey?"

One word.

One word, and I was shifting to the right, pulling up against the curb and parking.

One. Word.

My heart jumped into my throat, "Mom, what's wrong?"

"It's-"

Grandpa.

She hesitated for a second, and my mind filled the gap with a dreadful certainty.

Oh, god.

"Where are you?"

"In the car - I'm following the ambulance-"

No...

"Which hospital?" I demanded, thoughts racing.