Part 38: Collapse

Start from the beginning

"When, babygirl?" he insists and she can sense that he's close to losing his patience with her. "Yes, you're famous, but the victims won't come knocking on your door, you have to go out to find them!"

To provoke him even more, she rolls her eyes as she licks some mayo off her thumb.

"I know! And don't worry!" Anya makes perfectly sure her voice is nothing but the sweetest caress. "I will go out, okay? Just not today, I'm tired—and not tomorrow. Cause I'll have a date..."

From the corner of her eye as she puts lettuce on her sandwich, she sees Kyun's head shooting over to her.

"A date?" he asks and she can't help but grin. "With whom?"

"Joo!"

He scoffs. "The musician from that event?"

She nods, still busy with her snack.

"That's a start at least...but don't forget the contract!"

Wow. Does he really think that's this kind of date?

"I won't let him sign a contract, Kyun!"

The moment those words come out of her mouth, she feels the mood shifting. Kyun grows unnervingly still and she herself becomes tense. 

The demon raises his eyebrows. "What do you mean? Why?"

She doesn't dare speak because she has no idea how he'll react. So she remains silent.

For a long moment, the silence in the kitchen is deafening and by the time she cuts her sandwich in half, her stomach is turning so hard that the sight of it makes her want to vomit.

Suddenly, Kyun throws his head back laughing. "Oh my god!" This unexpected reaction makes her look up to him. "Are you for real, babygirl? I mean...really? You have feelings for him? Are you really this stupid?"

Him insulting her after all these weeks makes her blood boil but she still tries to keep a straight face.

"That's none of your business!"

Feels good coming at him with these words after he did the same to her three weeks ago. But the dark look on his face makes her regret it instantly.

"It is my goddamn business!" he snarls and slams his fists on the counter.

Anya flinches back. She looks at Kyun wide-eyed at the sight of the cracks in the marble.

Doesn't he realize that this is the exact same thing she replied to this sentence three weeks ago? Doesn't he notice how completely unfair his double standards are?

"For nine damn months, I did everything—everything to save your goddamn life! We are so fucking close and now you wanna ruin all of this cause after being single for eleven years you suddenly decide that you want a relationship again? Are you crazy?"

He isn't shouting anymore. But that doesn't mean his words are less effective. On the contrary, his calm voice almost scares her more.

"Tell me, babygirl! What is your plan, huh? Maybe I'm just dumb! Maybe you have a master plan I can't see yet cause I'm no genius like you are!" His voice drips with sarcasm as bitter as poison. "Let's say you go to this date—"

"I will!" she says firmly.

"Okay!" he says and smiles. But the smile doesn't reach his eyes. "Let's say you have a great night and you dance under the stars and then he leans closer to give you a gentle kiss and asks if you wanna start a relationship. Then what? Are you gonna cheat on him with twelve people?"