Change

The next day, Sarah found herself alone, engrossed in her work, but still feeling the lingering warmth from her interaction with Jake. The memory of his unwavering support and care made her heart flutter with happiness, and she couldn't help but smile as she typed away on her laptop. 

The whole encounter was such a relief and out of all there scenarios she had made in her head, it ending up perfectly was not one the ones she imagined.

As she took a break to sip her coffee, she noticed a familiar face across the cafe. Her heart skipped a beat as she saw Ethan sitting at a table with some friends. A sinking feeling washed over her, and she quickly looked away, hoping he wouldn't notice her.

But it was too late. Ethan's gaze fell on her, and she felt a whole load of rage take over the serene mode she was in.

"Hey, Sarah!" Ethan called out, making his way over to her table.

Sarah forced a smile, trying to hide the unease she felt. "Hi," She bluntly said.

Ethan took a seat without invitation, making himself at home as he always had. "Our last conversation wasn't the most pleasant was it?"

Sarah nodded, avoiding direct eye contact. "No, it indeed wasn't," She continued jotting down in her notes, hoping he would see it as his cue to leave.

Ethan leaned in, his tone becoming more serious. "Listen, Sarah, I have to be honest you hurt my feelings last time. It's like you don't like me anymore, which definitely can't be true. How many years did you like me? 3, 4 years?"

Sarah's heart sank as she heard his words. Memories of their past rushed back, and she felt torn between her past feelings and the happiness she had discovered with Jake. She took a deep breath, trying to find the strength to respond.

"People change Ethan, grow up," Sarah said firmly, her voice unwavering. "Our relationship was toxic, and I've grown, sorry if thats hard for you to believe."

Ethan's smile faltered, and he looked genuinely hurt. "Come on, Sarah, don't be so stubborn. You know you still care, why don't we give it another try?"

Sarah shook her head, her resolve strengthening. "I've learned that I deserve better than what we had, Ethan. I deserve someone who treats me with respect, kindness, and understanding. Someone who won't hurt me intentionally or otherwise. I've found that someone and it's not you."

Ethan's expression turned from hurt to anger. "So, what? Do you think you're better than me now? That you've found someone better?"

Sarah's heart raced, but she refused to back down. "Kind of do, you practically begging for another shot. What? Have the girls realised who you truly are?"

Ethan clenched his jaw, looking visibly frustrated. "You'll regret this, Sarah. I'm the best you're ever gonna get."

Sarah felt a surge of anger at his arrogance. "Oh trust me, you're probably the worst thing for me, I have dodged a bullet,"