1

flashback ....

los angeles, california
july 6th, 2010

5 year old hunter sat on her porch waiting for her group of friends to grab her and tell her to come play. she had been waiting for a true time of 7 minutes, but in the little girls head it felt like 7 hours. she traced a stick along her pavement steps as she killed time. she looked up once she heard footsteps and saw the girls encroaching onto her lawn.

she jumped up and smiled, running to meet them halfway.

"i've been waiting for you guys forever" she said excitedly, "do you wanna play tag?" she asked the group of girls

the group of young girls stared back as intimidating as they could, "actually, we came here to say we don't wanna be friends with you anymore"

"why?" hunter asked as she felt her little heart sink into her stomach

"you have a boy name and you act like a boy." gisele answered her question as hunter stared back with sad eyes

"but i'm not a boy" she said sadly as the girls just stared at her and turned away slowly, loathing amongst themselves the further away they got.

hunter ran back into the house that she shared with her cousin, dee, who was the same age as her and her father. her little legs found their way to the bathroom. she looked at her messy pig tails, the cars shirt she had on matched with a pair of shorts. she didn't think she acted like a boy. it was all she's ever known.

present day
los angeles, california
may 26th, 2023

hunter heard the rap music blaring from downstairs and she could smell the weed from her room. she was upset. not that her house reeked of the illegal substance, or the music was so loud she couldn't even hear her own conversations with herself— but because the boys forgot about her. she made sure to throw on a better shirt before she went downstairs as the one she was wearing had her boobs on display. she had already gotten into a couple arguments with dee about wearing hoe clothes around his friends but she didn't care too much. she knew she looked good and it was her house.

after feeling somewhat modest on the mirror, she found her way to the living room where she was met with the usuals scene. her cousin, dee, smoking with all of his friends as they sat around and listened to music. boring in everyone else's eyes, but the boys enjoyed each others company. hunter could only take so much of it before she got tired and started kicking them out.

"y'all bitch asses thought you could smoke without me?" hunter asked as she snatched the blunt from inbetween ronnie's lips. "ew you yucked this shit" she frowned her face up as she felt the wet saliva touch her lips when she went to take a pull, "ion even want this shit no more, i'm about to roll another one"

"that's all you had to do in da first place" sin said to hunter as he gave her a bored look

"fuck up santiago" she said as she pulled the jar of weed along with the rolling materials from under the mounted tv. she found herself sitting next to her cousin as she started to roll the blunt. "should i roll a spliff or a wood?" she asked at loud as she tapped her finger on her chin

"real niggas roll woods" dee taunted her

"you right, you right" she replied as she pulled a backwood out of the packaging. before she could get comfortable enough to start rolling she felt a pair of eyes on her. she looked up and saw a new boy. he was kinda tall, stood at about 6'0-6'2. he was lanky and light. she could tell he was hispanic— probably mexican. shit, it was cali after all, everyone was mexican. he had on all black and was starting at hunter with a look of disdain in his eyes. hunter stared back at him with the same look. "what bitch? who's this?" hunter asked as all the boys looked around to see who she was talking to except for the one doing the staring.