Graduation

Graduation and awards night, the biggest night for seniors, receiving awards, celebrating our captains, revealing our school Lip Dub, celebrating our Dux. I was there dressed in my music uniform, ready on stage with the Big Band to perform. I had my solo again, and I knew I had to smash it out in order to start the night right. The performance went perfectly, and I had to pass my instrument to my neighbour as I ran down the stage to join the choir lined up amongst the seats, All the senior students in the choir were given a solo line except for me and two others. All the other vocal students had a line, and they were all dressed in their beautiful evening wear ready to take the stage. I blended in with all the other students, not looking special at all. I sang will all I could but another regret I have was that I never got a solo line, other seniors got them simply because they took vocal lessons, our chorister knew their voices, and I knew that I was better than some but still missed out. My senior year of school and I never once got to show of my voice, to the one person I spent the most time with. Zhang had heard me sing once, when I joined a vocal lesson after my trombone lesson. For the short span of one line, he heard me sing, and the sparkle in his eye when I looked at him made my heart stutter. I wished I could have shown off once more, even if just for him.

As I exited the stage, I ran off to the classroom which was storing our instruments and quickly changed into Kiya's dress, and slipped my heals on so I could walk across the stage looking like a senior, and like an elegant young woman. The ceremony went well, I walked across the stage and received my awards, Industry awards in Chemistry, Japanese and Mathematics B. As I heard my awards my smile grew as I shook the principal's hand and confidently glided across the stage, hearing the cheers of my friends and family. Though the ceremony was long and dragging, after it ended, I went to help pack up the music side of things and come out to see that Mum, Dad, Kiya and my oldest sister were all waiting and talking to none other than Zhang. I walked over slowly and chatted with my other music teachers on the way, receiving their praise and giving them hugs and thanks. I knew by then I had his attention, I sauntered over letting him take in my look. The dress was knee length and fitted, complimenting my shape and showing off slight cleavage, which was accentuated by my mum's diamond necklace that fell just above. The raise of his eyebrows as I walked over was a clear sign that he liked what he saw. "Congratulations. Three awards, impressive." He was smiling and still taking in the sight of me dressed like an elegant woman, a striking contrast to our horrid, rectangular uniforms, that did nothing for anyone. "Good job with your piano playing, you did okay tonight." I was joking around as usual, and the buzz that usually occurred when we bantered like this was flowing naturally again. I had been so worried about Kiya, that I had stopped putting in as much effort and was distancing myself, stopping from being flirty all the time. But from the rush of the event, and seeing him watching me, I let myself be caught in the moment. "Can we take a photo together?"
"Sure!" we moved together outside, and I left my belongings with Dad as we moved to position. I stood next to him and felt the warmth as his hand snaked around my waist, I did the same, wrapping my arm and felt the muscles in his back tense. My heart was pounding in my chest, and my smile was the most genuine it had been all night from previous photos with my friends. He kept his hand where it was even when Kiya offered to take a selfie, it stayed firm and comfortable. As the photos finished, I felt a pang of sadness as his hand relaxed from my waist but settled on my back for only a short second. Mum and Dad came over and presented Zhang with a small gift bag with some piano socks, he looked int the bag and the happiness that plastered his face made me sigh. I came through and handed him the wrapped pen and a card. "This is for your birthday on Sunday. Because of QCS, I won't see you on Monday." He looked at me with gratitude and his precious smile. We parted ways and I chatted all the way home, high from the excitement of the night.